Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Many moons ago, when Flyin' Dutch hosted "interesting aviation speakers" at a certain top-secret Pub in Southam near Daventry for an evening meal plus speaker, I invited a (then) active (maybe just retired) Chinook pilot, a friend of mine but a generation younger.

Anyone remember that occasion?

Anyway, we were asked not to record the speaker, not so much because of official secrets, but because of operational methods, some of which were explained to the audience; landing in Iraq in a self-made sandstorm being one.

Other speakers included "Bratty" (of or formerly of this Parish) who described interceptions of Russian Bear aircraft in EE Lightnings, and the efficacy of being able to shoot them down if required. Also Kath Burnham talking about the DC-3.

There were many good speakers during that short duration of meals in a Pub with friends, but those stand out to me.
Pete L, PeteSpencer liked this
Threadly Drifty....

My buddy, Dave, flies a Skyvan in Naples FL for mosquito suppression.

He flies at night...... at 300'....... at 140kts........ with NVG's on.

I do hope the venerable old crusties of Naples appreciate his efforts.

Daytime, he flies a Hughes 500 at 150'....

Hate the bar steward :lol:
Rob L, AndyR, NickC liked this
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Trent, when I was at Naples 20+ years ago, Army Hueys were flying from the airfield with bambi buckets, dealing with some wild fires several miles out towards the Everglades. Comment from the nice receptionist at Naples Air Centre was apropos "hopefully local people might now realise what an asset this airport is and stop complaining about us!"
kanga, Trent772 liked this
James Chan wrote:

I'm aware of the low-level helicopter routes, but I thought they were for mainly for us civilian folk in helis to use -

Why not get your “friends” to complain about the numerous sight seeing pleasure flying helicopters which fly up and down the Thames numerous times a day at weekends?

On operator had to be stopped at our place because they were doing 12 trips a day which is 24 overflights in a space of 8 hours . One overflight every 20 minutes. They even got 2 crews in to manage it.

No wonder the locals got their MPs involved.

Add to that the number of little Robbos that fly the Thames heliroutes for fun, sorry “famil”.
A4 Pacific liked this
By PeteSpencer
When I was at Naples FL 20 years ago with Keef doing our FAA/IRs, there were a couple of Hoffmann Aviation PA28s on the NAC s apron which had been used to train the 9-11 bombers and were subsequently confiscated .. :shock:
By Dave W
pullup wrote:Add to that the number of little Robbos that fly the Thames heliroutes for fun, sorry “famil”.

Outrageous behaviour.

Good job the rest of us never do anything for fun.
kanga, skydriller liked this
By Ibra
Colonel Panic wrote:Anyone who thinks that the never ending stream of Chinooks flying low along the Thames is a non-issue for residents doesn't live there. The noise is as dreadful as it is unnecessary.

Near my place it still a bit of (welcomed) change from my neighbour music, blackwall traffic and city airport
It’s just the jump of my bed thinking it’s another military coup (old memories from a past life in Africa :lol: )
Colonel Panic wrote:..The noise is as dreadful as it is unnecessary.

In this context, 'dreadful' seems likely to be a personal aesthetic judgement, but 'unnecessary' seems to imply some authoritative knowledge. Obviously, other Forumites may not be in any position to challenge either, but some may have comparable authority on the latter, and may disagree :roll:
Last edited by kanga on Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A4 Pacific, Hooligan, David Wood and 1 others liked this
By Rjk983
Colonel Panic wrote:Anyone who thinks that the never ending stream of Chinooks flying low along the Thames is a non-issue for residents doesn't live there. The noise is as dreadful as it is unnecessary.

Having benefited from several low fast moves in places slightly less sedate than Oxfordshire, they can train as often as they like in my book.
By Rjk983
Colonel Panic wrote:Well that's alright then. Maybe they should just fly low level over all & any cities 24/7 just in case they might need to fly in hostile arenas at some point and that will have made it AOK.

Not. :roll:

I didn’t say that. And neither did you, you said “along the Thames”.
kanga liked this
I've been following this 'discussion' with some interest, not to say amusement. Our house is only a few miles from Brize, it stands by itself at a very distinctive cross roads, there is even a green hangar behind the house. This must make it a perfect VRP, so we get C130s from Brize as well as Chinooks and Pumas from Benson coming over at all hours of the day and night. The Chinooks are often so low that you feel, rather than just hear them. It's great to see them, I sometimes even get a 'wing rock' (can you call it that with a chopper?) if I'm out in our field. The occasional Spitfire or Lancaster add extra interest. We both love to see them, who wouldn't? Even my wife will rush out if she hears a Chinook, or an unusual sound. These guys need to train, at low altitude and at night, not necessarily in order to transport goods from one place to another.
Dave W, Nick, kanga and 1 others liked this
Dave

I once returned to Odiham after a NOE (nap of the earth) flight over Salisbury Plain exercise area. I was met by OC Ops who ‘accused’ me of being 6’ AGL as I flew between two barns. (So said the farmer!) My reply was that was a ridiculous accusation. I was never that high!

“Tommy this, and Tommy that”. What a fabulous quote!!

Some need these skills when enemies of this nation are trying to kill them. These skills don’t just appear out of thin air, and they are perishable!
Hooligan, kanga, Rjk983 and 5 others liked this