Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Why not get your “friends” to complain about the numerous sight seeing pleasure flying helicopters which fly up and down the Thames numerous times a day at weekends?

They apparently don't see it as a problem compared to Chinooks which are both noisier and a lot more visible.

To the untrained eye it's not easy to know whether such helicopters are flying for personal pleasure or not. Similarly there are legitimate GA businesses flying passengers on paid flights.

And many police and ambulance helicopters do not necessarily follow the heli routes. Then you have the survey flights, the filming flights, the news reporting flights, and so on....
chevvron wrote:
SwanFIS wrote:Living in Frimley which lies betweeen Odiham and Bagshot I am very lucky, and happy to see L/L Chinooks, Wildcats, Apaches sometimes even a Merlin transiting to and from the Bagshot VRP.....

A pretty good replacement for the now deceased Farnborough airshow.

I lived in Frimley from 1980 to 1995 and moved east to Chobham (still on H3) after that.
There was a guy back in late '90s, a LATCC controller living in Camberley then based at West Drayton, who used to moan about every aircraft he saw on H3 inbound to/outbound from Bagshot both heli and fixed wing

Oh, you mean Mike C. Not a bad lad but he did dislike those helicopters coming off H3, however, it was really difficult for them to comply with Rule 5 after they exited the heli-routes. Can’t think that any of them were prosecuted though.
Londlostdriver wrote:Oh, you mean Mike C. Not a bad lad but he did dislike those helicopters coming off H3, however, it was really difficult for them to comply with Rule 5 after they exited the heli-routes. Can’t think that any of them were prosecuted though.

No it was Mike R.
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Down in roughly Chevvron's beck of the woods today and a familiar throb rent the air; several seconds later a Chinook wafted over. Noisy? No not really. Not nearly as noisy as the Bell Global Ranger I saw earlier or the Augusta 109...
kanga liked this