Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No probs :
pm me an email address.

Noise sensitive area advice is usually given when you phone for PPR . but it’s on Pooleys

Chris SR CFI is quite keen on preserving good relations with the neighbours so observe the advice.

If the wind is from the east you’ll need a pretty tight base leg if you are to avoid the housing and of course with the fly in the place will be humming….. :wink:
By PeteSpencer
Bathman wrote:How long before houses are built on the airfield?

Good question : roundabouts on the new road round the business park with access spurs pointing to the airfield are there already …..,,.
By PeteSpencer
@NDB_hold

email sent: pls ack receipt: my 'copy' took for ever to arrive................
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Personally I wouldn't fly the tight base leg. On final, well throttled back, there really is very little noise from the aircraft. And they are noise sensitive, not overflight sensitive.

But this is a decision for the pilot.

Rob P
Sooty25 liked this
By PeteSpencer
Absoloodle:
The 'stream' will be on nice long stable final over houses, MH pub, GP surgery and Mini Tesco..... :wink:
Rob P liked this
By NDB_hold
Thanks all for your help. @PeteSpencer ack, thanks.

Spoke to the NW team who are running the flyin and I have a slot booked for my PP pickup. All good.

@PeteSpencer if I’m departing on 27 what’s the preferred routing? Straight ahead over the gap in the houses initially but then NW? Planned track is due west after departure but I’ll be at my noisiest then. SD does show the critical noise areas in red.
By Rob P
NDB_hold wrote:... if I’m departing on 27

The forecast* still suggests 09 departure, so you should be fine.

Rob P

* ECMWF and GFS do anyway. ICON begs to differ.
By GrahamB
I went over to Rougham earlier in the year and stayed for a couple of nights. 27 was in use for both arrival and departure, with a gentle 90 degree crosswind each time.

I had no problems getting in and out in my AA5 two up with full size adults, plenty of fuel and some overnight luggage. The strip is really smooth, so there is little risk of landing and take-off rolls being prolonged by bouncy-bouncy. Being a weekday, I flew the 27 circuit, departed off base leg, turned right keeping well to the south of the industrial estate and headed off back west from there.

(Edited cos I’d written bollox previously)
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
NDB_hold wrote:Thanks all for your help. @PeteSpencer ack, thanks.

Spoke to the NW team who are running the flyin and I have a slot booked for my PP pickup. All good.

@PeteSpencer if I’m departing on 27 what’s the preferred routing? Straight ahead over the gap in the houses initially but then NW? Planned track is due west after departure but I’ll be at my noisiest then. SD does show the critical noise areas in red.

As Rob says you'll prob be using 09 but if you're on 27 as soon as you get to 500ft QNH crank R 25-30 deg and aim for the three large white 'golfballs' on the British Sugar site. . If you look on Google earth you'll see them just east of four black settling ponds alongside a roundabout on A143. That should take you the least noisy route.

If you're departing 09 climb runway heading to 1000ft before turning on track. Turning south then west will keep you out of the MATZ and pass you south of Bury St Edmunds
Good luck
Peter
Rob P, Cessna571 liked this
By NDB_hold
Great, thanks. Agree that 09 seems more likely but I thought I'd ask. I know the British Sugar place (I have friends in Newmarket so we've been into Bury a few times.)
By Rob P
PeteSpencer wrote:As Rob says you'll prob be using 09

Interestingly enough, in the course of the past few hours the ICON-EU model has started to agree with the others that 09 is the likely event. But still a few days for everything to change.

Rob P
By ozplane
There is also a NOTAM for the Duxford show this weekend if you are travelling West from Rougham.
By Rob P
Worth mentioning, but the obvious route Rougham - Halfpenny Green would be North of Cambridge

Rob P