Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
The CAA has announced three further 'virtual voyages', and I have been given twenty minutes at the end of the first one to put your questions to the CAA's Sophie O'Sullivan.

If you'd like me to ask something, please post it here and/or email caaquestions@seager.aero

I imagine there will be more questions than time available (I could fill a couple of hours without thinking too hard), so I'll do my best to group subjects together.

The full news story is here. To book your free place click here

Thanks

Ian
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
These events have, in the past, been marked by some great questions and absolute non-answers, whether from the CAA, the faceless powers that be at the DfT or even from the affable Grant Shapps.

I think that the questions remain what they always were. What is needed are actual tangible answers. Sophie, on past performance, doesn't do actual tangible answers, and the format normally allows her to get away with it.
nallen, GrahamB, PeteSpencer and 2 others liked this
GrahamB wrote:When the powers that be talk about making the UK TBPITWFGA, to borrow a hackneyed phrase 'What does best look like?'.

TBPITWFGA was a DfT not a CAA phrase but what are/were the target criteria?
We as pilots think it ought to mean the place where GA is actively encouraged and facilitated but perhaps from a timid bureaucrat's perspective it means the place where the accident/fatality rate is lowest or even nil.
Were that the case how best to achieve the target? Discourage GA to the point where it disappears? Ergo, Britain becomes 'The Best Place In The World For GA'. Job done.
I think we should be told.
By johnm
Why can't Part ML be more flexible? We are currently faced with most of an annual every 100 hours AIUI and a regime where we could 2 50 hour and then an annual would work better and cheaper for us.
By GrahamB
rf3flyer wrote:TBPITWFGA was a DfT not a CAA phrase but what are/were the target criteria?

That’s why I used the phrase ‘powers that be’ rather than CAA.

The CAA are a key actor in delivering it so after some months during which to reflect, they must have some ideas on what it means and how to deliver it.
By Irv Lee
We currently have nppl-m to nppl-ssea skill improvement transition path which has served well for nearly 20 years. We have 9 years of experience of a Lapl(a) to icao ppl(a) skill improvement path. When will we have the equivalent skill based improvement path for NPPL-SSEA holders to ICAO ppl(a), giving a joined-up skill improvement and qualification progression route for all along the hobby GA licence ladder?
Rjk983, terryws liked this
By Rjk983
Boxkite wrote:Do you have to provide the questions in advance and in writing?

At least if the questions had been submitted a couple of weeks before, and CAA are made aware that these are the questions that will be asked by flyer then there should be no excuse for not answering. Therefore Ian should be able to do his best Paxman impression and push for answers.

The trouble is just about everything that was asked last time is still relevant but the stock answer will no doubt be that the matter is the subject of one of the many ongoing reviews and we will have to wait until the team report back.

On the plus side they do seem to be trying to engage. There were plenty of CAA bods at the tent at the LAA rally.
By GrahamB
leiafee wrote:Are they even trying to get the rest of licensing stuff properly electronic? Scanning and sending forms and signatures and is such a nonsense these days

I would suggest they take a long hard look at rationalising and simplifying the licensing structure first.

Trying to move the current bugger's muddle on to any platform, let alone a self-service one, would be well nigh impossible without causing even more chaos than currently exists.

Look at the fiasco they've made of medicals, and the requirements there represent a fraction of the complexity of icensing overall.
BobM, T67M, rogerb liked this
By GrahamB
Rob L wrote:
GrahamB wrote:When the powers that be talk about making the UK TBPITWFGA, to borrow a hackneyed phrase 'What does best look like?'.

Please give the great unwashed like me a clue as to what you mean, GrahamB :roll: Link

Back in November:
The Secretary of State for Transport wishes to see that the UK benefits from being the best place in the world for general aviation. Our General Aviation (GA) strategy compliments and supports both government and our wider CAA strategy by detailing our approach to supporting and championing GA in the UK.

Since then, that phrase has been referred to and quoted countless times on this forum.

Use of an acronym doesn't per se constitute breach of Ian's rules, so :roll: back with knobs on.
pplmeir liked this