Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PaulisHome wrote:
Cantabrigan wrote:
nallen wrote: has the CAA started on making bilateral agreements with all EASA states to allow mutual operation of microlights and other "non-EASA types"? [Basically, the sort of thing that France has recently allowed.] If not, when is it planning to do so? If it does not have the capacity, can it delegate legwork to the LAA/BMAA?

And related to that, what about an agreement to reinstate operation of formerly EASA PtF (now CAA PtF) aircraft in EASA land? They seem to have slipped down the gap between CofA and LAA PtF types. Is the CAA doing anything about this, or does it have plans to?

Seconded

Paul

That would be my question - the LAA has no interest in that fleet so it needs the CAA to push for it. I was really surprised to discover that the EASA flight conditions were no longer considered valid - especially as they are for the airframe not the registration. (Nowhere is the state of registry mentioned on Form 18B).
Cantabrigan liked this
By PeteSpencer
pplmeir wrote:For an instrument rated private pilot a class 2 medical with audiogram and ECG costs £200 + £50 +£50 =£300.

Is there evidence that these costs vs alternatives are justified

If you can find an AME : two of ‘em in E Anglia have jacked it in this year:
Only two left as far as I can see.
Point of order Audiogram and ECG alternate each year.
By GrahamB
PeteSpencer wrote:Point of order Audiogram and ECG alternate each year.

They do for me, but doesn’t it depend on when the individual needed their first audiogram?
Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteSpencer liked this
What are the UK plans to provide lpv approaches now egnos is not available.

I’ve seen nothing substantive published so far though BEIS & UK Space have both put forward information about a UK Position, Navigation and Timing project which would I believe platform a system like EGNOS.

There are however many obstacles to progress some of which include -
Cost
Compatibility with existing equipment
Political change
Timescale (eg many years)
Launch capacity.
By G-JWTP
G-JWTP wrote:Ian,

Easy one.

Since the CAA trust their examiners CFI etc. to carry out skills tests and therefore check all the paperwork etc and countersign revalidations/renewals ( or whatever they are called nowadays). Why can't they allow them to issue temporary licences/ratings and the such like for say 90 days. This would thus enable people to get airborne ASAP and relieve the CAA of all the pressure on the woeful FCL department and its process.

Works well in the USA

G-JWTP

Hi Ian,

Further to the post above this was raised as part of the Red Tape Challenge in 2013, 8 years ago!

Its item 56 here.
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CA ... llenge.pdf

G-JWTP
By Rjk983
Drone trials.

Why doesn’t the CAA require that all potential drone operators carry out their technology demonstrations at a single remote location where it will be safe for the public and not require a vast array of TDAs popping up and restricting Class G for all other users.

I believe Llanbedr was previously used for Qinetiq to carry out drone trials and also to launch target drones for missile tests. Benbecula could also be a good option.

You could even call it a Sandbox, that will prick their ears up.
rogerb liked this
By Cookie
Hi Ian,

Further to the post above this was raised as part of the Red Tape Challenge in 2013, 8 years ago!

Its item 56 here.
https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CA ... llenge.pdf

G-JWTP

CAA forms SRG1100/SRG1100A are now provided for this purpose.

Cookie
G-BLEW liked this
By GrahamB
When a RA(T) is proposed for UAS 'testing', is the intended location really challenged by the CAA, or is it just accepted?

Until the proper integration of UAS can be achieved, why can't the default location for all such testing be concentrated in one fairly innocuous place - like Aberporth - unless there is clear justification for it not to be.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Someone should get the CAA to confirm there is no restriction against us flying in these TDAs.

If there were, they would be RA(T)s.
By skydriller
Tim Dawson wrote:Someone should get the CAA to confirm there is no restriction against us flying in these TDAs.

Well, they ( DAs & TDAs) appear in the infringement stats... :(

Tim Dawson wrote:Someone should get the CAA to confirm there is no restriction against us flying in these TDAs.

That is a similar question to #1870854

So definitely lot of interest in that topic

skydriller wrote:Well, they ( DAs & TDAs) appear in the infringement stats... :(

Some DA have a Statutory Instrument associated with them making them effectively Restricted area. However, it seems the CAA rather keep the ambiguity and publish unclear stats.