Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Stampe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ian was our only hope for the three presentations of asking searching questions.There was not nearly enough time allocated for him to raise issues.Most of the presentation was a sterile corporate lecture.I think the questions need to be published put in print to the authority with Grant Shapps in CC and the answers placed in the next edition.
I suspect FCL will be having a challenging discussion with the top floor of the Belgrano tomorrow morning best take their own biscuits!
I would be very interested to know the percentage of working days currently spent in the office by the various CAA departments.I believe there is a tremendous amount of home working... nothing wrong with that...if the job is being done.Sadly it appears the organisation is failing in most areas.
Regards Stampe
Fly Safe Considerate Compliant.
Pete L liked this
Sorry, missed the deadline. BUT...

Sent my driving licence off to DVLA last Friday afternoon to add a category. Received back today. No charge... and a 2 working day turnaround! No dumb forms, nothing.. Just left it with the Examiner.

I know the DVLA are a larger organisation but how can they do it so quickly and our wonderful aviation regulator takes longer than a long thing?

Ever get the feeling us pilots are being shafted? :roll:
Stampe liked this
JodelDavo wrote:I know the DVLA are a larger organisation but how can they do it so quickly and our wonderful aviation regulator takes longer than a long thing?

It would be an error to think that is a standard turnaround.

They have had mine for several weeks now. It cheeses me off it still shows as unclaimed. :evil:

More importantly.

I would like to acknowledge the efforts of Ian Seager in relentlessly supporting and striving to improve GA in the UK, to the benefit of us all. The penny dropped tonight as the the extent of his tenacity and determination.

Thank you @G-BLEW for your resilience in what must at times seem like a lost cause. Your efforts are appreciated. :thumright:
Paul_Sengupta, Aerials, Stampe and 11 others liked this
JodelDavo wrote:Sorry, missed the deadline. BUT...

Sent my driving licence off to DVLA last Friday afternoon to add a category. Received back today. No charge... and a 2 working day turnaround! No dumb forms, nothing.. Just left it with the Examiner.

I know the DVLA are a larger organisation but how can they do it so quickly and our wonderful aviation regulator takes longer than a long thing?

Ever get the feeling us pilots are being shafted? :roll:

It's annoyingly simple really. The DVLA invested millions in their IT with a huge amount of work delivered by IBM.

The CAA on the other hand have a broken operating model, poorly paid and poorly trained front line staff but overpaid and underperforming senior staff (you only need to Google for civil service high earners to find the spreadsheet and then filter on CAA) not enough money to invest in improvements and no clue how to invest when they do have some spare change, investing in low quality consultants or cheap IT solutions. GA makes a loss for the CAA (drones help make up the shortfall) and we tend to sound the most whiny, so we become more and more a pain in the **** for them.

I think a model where GA airworthiness and FCL is handled by a different organisation(s) is the only solution. But that's probably way to radical for most.

Anyway to bed!

Snorker.
Stampe liked this
It's annoyingly simple really. The DVLA invested millions in their IT with a huge amount of work delivered by IBM.

And yet, three months on, I'm still waiting for my driving licence which I had to post to them as the online system doesn't work sometimes with no fallback, as confessed by the nice lady once I'd held on the phone for nearly three quarters of an hour.

Go IBM!

Rob P
By shortwing
The medical guy got the presentation so right.

We got it wrong, we know it, we apologise, but this is what we're trying to do. We're sorry.

No buzz words, no excuses just plain talking. Bravo

Whereas the transformation bit was just buzz words like step change and excuses for taking an age to deliver anything.
By johnm
In the case of DVLA their front end is on-line but the back office still operates on paper essentially. In the case of the CAA neither front end nor back office is very good, because their systems design is poor.

Both need more skilled work and support but the CAA is notably unstable and the statistics are indicating that they are focussed on avoiding someone having the drains up rather than getting things fixed :roll:
Snorker wrote:I think a model where GA airworthiness and FCL is handled by a different organisation(s) is the only solution. But that's probably way to radical for most.

Maybe an organisation like the BMAA?
Permit to Fly validation is turned around within hours. Permit applications
NPPL licence applications might take a day or two. Even with queries to the application these rarely take more than a week and progress through the system is available on-line - Licence applications
By Stampe
That was my understanding hopefully a précis pack with the slides.I must say Sophie head of the GA/Drone unit presents well and seems competent she also comes with a business background which I see as a big positive! However driving any meaningful change at the RAF Gatwick retirement home must be a daunting task!
Regards Stampe
Fly Safe Considerate Compliant