Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Rjk983 wrote:
Boxkite wrote:Do you have to provide the questions in advance and in writing?

At least if the questions had been submitted a couple of weeks before, and CAA are made aware that these are the questions that will be asked by flyer then there should be no excuse for not answering. Therefore Ian should be able to do his best Paxman impression and push for answers.

I think Ian had to submit the questions in writing last time, giving the CAA plenty of time to work out how to work around them.....
Trent772 wrote:Sort out the debacle that [...] we cannot fly Euro registered aeroplanes any more.

Dodo wrote:Can someone please sort out the situation banning flying in Europe on a LAPL medical and a UK licence.

These are not questions/problems the CAA can fix.
G-BLEW liked this
GrahamB wrote:
Rob L wrote:
GrahamB wrote:When the powers that be talk about making the UK TBPITWFGA, to borrow a hackneyed phrase 'What does best look like?'.

Please give the great unwashed like me a clue as to what you mean, GrahamB :roll: Link

Back in November:
The Secretary of State for Transport wishes to see that the UK benefits from being the best place in the world for general aviation. Our General Aviation (GA) strategy compliments and supports both government and our wider CAA strategy by detailing our approach to supporting and championing GA in the UK.

Since then, that phrase has been referred to and quoted countless times on this forum.

Use of an acronym doesn't per se constitute breach of Ian's rules, so :roll: back with knobs on.

Thank you for the explanation. I must have missed all the other times to which you refer.
By CloudHound
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Question: Can you describe The Big Picture for GA in this country going forward?

Background: The DfT/CAA have numerous diverse programmes running from funding EC to deploying RNP Approaches at aerodromes without approach control. They are involved in Airspace Reclassification. Airfields Assistance and the Lower Airspace Working Group. There's the introduction of the 600kg class microlights and stalled work on Heritage Aircraft stuck on ARC. Furthermore, integration of electric VTOL machines will affect us and it appears we're not going the European route of segragated U-Space and USSPs. The proliferation of Drone TDAs inc BVLOS continues apace with growing disquiet from pilots. (Tried booking a slot at Caernafon recently?) Licensing/medical has already been tabled. The loss of TEL from AVGAS is clearly a threat or DfT wouldn't be surveying fuel supply locations about UL91 so what's current thinking/timescales?

And there may be more on the cards as yet not publicaly visible.
Aerials liked this
By nallen
xtophe wrote:
Trent772 wrote:Sort out the debacle that [...] we cannot fly Euro registered aeroplanes any more.

Dodo wrote:Can someone please sort out the situation banning flying in Europe on a LAPL medical and a UK licence.

These are not questions/problems the CAA can fix.

That's true; but they can start to address them.

Here's a question for them: has the CAA started on making bilateral agreements with all EASA states to allow mutual operation of microlights and other "non-EASA types"? [Basically, the sort of thing that France has recently allowed.] If not, when is it planning to do so? If it does not have the capacity, can it delegate legwork to the LAA/BMAA?

(*Although it's not in their power, could not the CAA attempt to negotiate that a UK-issued LAPL medical would be recognised EU-wide if it were issued by an AME who was also EASA registered? -- That would allow EASA to maintain its - sort of nominal - medical oversight. Those of us who want to fly across the Channel could seek out an AME with the requisite permissions; those who only want to fly domestically can just carry on as they are/make a PMD.)
Pete L, Trent772 liked this
@G-BLEW My question: Let consider a TDA for BVLOS UAS operation, I have established that the UAS is equipped with EC out, my aircraft is equipped with a compatible EC in display, when I get close to the TDA I can see via EC no UAS traffic or that the UAS is far enough from my intended track, in the view of the CAA, am I breaking the law and/or showing bad airmanship by penetrating the TDA?
Nick liked this
By Cantabrigan
nallen wrote: has the CAA started on making bilateral agreements with all EASA states to allow mutual operation of microlights and other "non-EASA types"? [Basically, the sort of thing that France has recently allowed.] If not, when is it planning to do so? If it does not have the capacity, can it delegate legwork to the LAA/BMAA?

And related to that, what about an agreement to reinstate operation of formerly EASA PtF (now CAA PtF) aircraft in EASA land? They seem to have slipped down the gap between CofA and LAA PtF types. Is the CAA doing anything about this, or does it have plans to?
Pete L liked this
By G-JWTP
Ian,

Easy one.

Since the CAA trust their examiners CFI etc. to carry out skills tests and therefore check all the paperwork etc and countersign revalidations/renewals ( or whatever they are called nowadays). Why can't they allow them to issue temporary licences/ratings and the such like for say 90 days. This would thus enable people to get airborne ASAP and relieve the CAA of all the pressure on the woeful FCL department and its process.

Works well in the USA

G-JWTP
Dave W, G-BLEW, Rjk983 liked this
By Rjk983
Irv Lee wrote:We currently have nppl-m to nppl-ssea skill improvement transition path which has served well for nearly 20 years. We have 9 years of experience of a Lapl(a) to icao ppl(a) skill improvement path. When will we have the equivalent skill based improvement path for NPPL-SSEA holders to ICAO ppl(a), giving a joined-up skill improvement and qualification progression route for all along the hobby GA licence ladder?

On a similar tack, The old paperwork exercise from NPPL SSEA to LAPL then onwards to PPL was acceptable to all including the CAA. EASA decided to change the rules and the eventual implementation happened in Apr 18. Now that we have left EASA, and the LAPL is now a U.K. Part FCL licence. Why can’t the old route be reinstated via a pronouncement from CAA.

At the minute I am in limbo, stuck at NPPL, waiting and hoping that the old route is reinstated. When it happens I have my savings ready to spend on gaining an IR(R).

At present I can’t spend that cash as I may eventually need it to change to a Part FCL licence (if/when the CAA finally draw a line under paperwork upgrades). That will be a lot of money to buy a piece of paper as I will learn no new skills in the process.
By PaulisHome
Cantabrigan wrote:
nallen wrote: has the CAA started on making bilateral agreements with all EASA states to allow mutual operation of microlights and other "non-EASA types"? [Basically, the sort of thing that France has recently allowed.] If not, when is it planning to do so? If it does not have the capacity, can it delegate legwork to the LAA/BMAA?

And related to that, what about an agreement to reinstate operation of formerly EASA PtF (now CAA PtF) aircraft in EASA land? They seem to have slipped down the gap between CofA and LAA PtF types. Is the CAA doing anything about this, or does it have plans to?

Seconded

Paul