Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If I've understood correctly with my SE2 I can have either TIS_B or FLARM but not both, so TIS-B which includes FLARM ought to be configurable?? In the meantime that may be why Lasham was not interesting the other day......
johnm wrote:If I've understood correctly with my SE2 I can have either TIS_B or FLARM but not both, so TIS-B which includes FLARM ought to be configurable?? In the meantime that may be why Lasham was not interesting the other day......

Yes, I don’t pay the Flarm subscription, so I was surprised when lots of gliders appeared.

I thought it odd that they all had ADSB, now I know they didn’t, my SE2 was picking them up via the broadcast.
johnm, gaznav liked this
shortwing wrote:As i'll be going down that way, will my SE2 pick this up and are any settings required to make it work?

Our SE2 did.

Just leave the configuration set to TIS-B rather than Flarm on the configuration page.

Watch out for yourself flying on top of yourself if they’ve not fixed it.
By Paul_Sengupta
Cessna571 wrote:PAW/SE2 will both work.

Everyone can keep their PAW until they upgrade it.

(I’m presuming PAW can pick up TIS-B, I think it can)

Sort of. It was programmed into it some while back, but to receive 978 you'll need another DVB dongle (and either an antenna splitter or another antenna).
gaznav liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:PAW/SE2 will both work.

Everyone can keep their PAW until they upgrade it.

(I’m presuming PAW can pick up TIS-B, I think it can)

Sort of. It was programmed into it some while back, but to receive 978 you'll need another DVB dongle (and either an antenna splitter or another antenna).

My brother told me of something they were putting in chips to make them more efficient.

They actually power them up and down many many (many) times a second.

In real terms, they are up the whole time, in factual terms they are powered down half the time and save energy.
(It depends what the chip does).

I’ve often wondered why PAW doesn’t repurpose the single dongle to scan both frequencies alternately.

Maybe it takes too long to change.

It needs some proper maths to see if it’s a viable solution, but I’m quite sure programmatically it is possible.
By Lefty
Fortunately the area of coverage extends to most of our flying training areas. I will have to go flying with my SE configured to UAT instead of FLARM.

Really great news. Let’s hope it continues - and expands over more of the country. Well done those folks !!
flyinfox wrote:
Cub wrote:Before everyone gets too excited, it’s probably worth pointing out that you require a UAT device to receive TIS-B and FIS-B.

It will require a network of ground stations as well wont it?

Not really, because instead of transmitting at 0.5W or whatever it is, I presume they can transmit at 200W ?

When you look at the coverage they are getting from their trial one (and they really were, as I went down to Sandown).

I presume they are transmitting at the same power as a normal transponder which means they are only going to need a small bunch to cover the country.

What’s more interesting (imho) is where will they get their MLAT from ?
gaznav liked this