Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
@Straight Level

Which is exactly was is happening - apart from I don’t believe QinetiQ are involved (but I might be wrong). I believe that NATS is a stakeholder without a commercial interest in the technology used, their only interest is to improve the way airspace is used (which could save them money).

GOODWOOD TRIAL INFORMATION, 26 AUGUST - 23 SEPTEMBER 2021

Between 26 August 2021 and 23 September 2021, Traffic Information Services-Broadcast (TIS-B) and Flight Information Services-Broadcast (FIS-B) will be transmitted from Lasham and Goodwood Aerodromes. The project may seek to extend this evaluation period. The service is part of a trial that is underway around Goodwood Aerodrome that aims to develop new surveillance technology and operational procedures in support of Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLoS) operations. The specific objective of the TIS-B element of the Goodwood trial is to “Demonstrate and evaluate the benefits of broadcasting a surveillance ‘’picture’’ via TIS-B. This is comprised of a consolidated surveillance data feed from Mode A/S transponders, ADS-B transponders and transceivers, MLAT, and FLARM’’ which can be received via ADS-B 978 MHz receivers, including CAP1391 devices. Visualisation will occur on suitable Electronic Flight Bag applications. In addition, the FIS-B broadcast will include weather and airspace information such as the activation status of Temporary Danger Area (TDA) EG D097. The transmitting radius of the stations is approximately 40 NM in a circular direction above 500 FT, from each transmitter.

Some trial documentation here: https://airspacechange.caa.co.uk/docume ... nload/2603
Steve J, kanga liked this
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Time for me to enable UAT 978Mhz on the Stratux instead of tying up and SDR on 863Mhz.

I must say since I jumped the RunwayHD ship in favour of Skydemon it has become a much more reliable system, especially with an external 1090 aerial an external GPS with full view of the sky and powered directly from the aircraft. It makes all those early teething troubles disappear.
Nick liked this
By Nick
I also moved away from RunwayHD to Skydemon 3 years ago and have found it so much more reliable and user friendly. I persevered from the initial, Airspace Aware, Foresight and through to RunwayHD. I believed them, :roll: that it would get better but it never did!

Nick
By Cub
I flew with SkyEcho and SkyDemon through the trial area a couple of times this week. I would have to say I was very impressed with the comprehensive traffic coverage within the area.

I think universal low level coverage throughout the country via properly established and commissioned TIS-B is the way forward.
Dodo, Iceman, Cessna571 and 5 others liked this
By Lefty
2Donkeys wrote:I have flown through the trial area a number of times recently including today with both an inbuilt GTX345 and a Sentry device, neither of which received anything at all.

Is the trial really still operating?

I’ve flown thru several times - and yes I am receiving the UAT uplink traffic data.

Only issue is that sometimes, (only sometimes) the “ownship filter” doesn’t block out the UAT uplink referring to my own aircraft - and I get constant warning of “Aircraft 100m behind - same level “, which repeats so often that you have turn it off.
gaznav wrote:I did hear that the Lasham Gliding Club facilities had a fire? Maybe that has something to do with it?

https://uknip.co.uk/breaking/news-27257 ... chen-area/

I believe there was a brief interruption to service unsurprisingly but it was definitely working for me this afternoon. Lasham have a number of buildings, only one has been affected.
gaznav liked this