Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Remosflyer wrote:My system is Garmin G3X Touch Screeen / GTX23ES Transponder / PowerFlarmCore, installed in 2020.

On the G3X screen when all is working normally I see this status message:

'GTX TIS-A, ADS OPER'

Do I require an upgrade to receive TIS-B?

Yes, but you don't need an additional receiver, all you need is to purchase the software upgrade for your PowerFlarmCore.
See here:-
https://flarm.com/products/product-add-ons/ads-r-tis-b/
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cessna571 wrote:
I think putting it in your pocket is just about the worst thing you could possibly have done.

Your body is a bag of water that stops any radio waves stone dead. You want it as far away from that as you can!

Tbh, the best “how to position a small transceiver in an aircraft” documents are those written by PAW. You’d not put the PAW antenna in your top pocket. You’d not want it anywhere near your body.
The research is quite clear about that.

That SE2 really would have worked better lodged upright anywhere else!

It only went in my top pocket for a short time after I had tried other locations, I was trying to raise it as much out the cockpit as I could, certainly not suggesting it as a permanent location!
By PaulisHome
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
ChrisRowland wrote:The FLARM and PAW data is already available on the internet, no need for an individual base station to receive it. Maybe MLAT Mode S and ADSB as well.

Yes, but not with sufficiently low latency to be useful for rebroadcast.

PilotAware use their own backend network with low latency for that purpose. It's one of the things they do very well.

Paul
NDB_hold liked this
@PaulisHome

Paul

I guess this is one of the trial objectives, what coverage do you get and how many would you need? Working out line of sight is easy and who says the ground stations need to be on airfields? There are plenty of great vantage points on national infrastructure that could give far better than an airfield that typically sits on low ground.

For example, TV masts offer huge line of sight coverage. So popping one of these ground stations even half way up would do the trick:
But other masts/towers are available if this is an officially sanctioned and licensed installation.

Cheers, Gaz :thumright:
I think its potentially good news that this trial has started, it has the possibility of improving safety for all, as it will be emitting Pilotaware, FLARM and MLAT

I have been reading through the UAT data specification, and I cannot find anywhere that details the system information for
- traffic uplink latency
- traffic uplink accuracy

@Cub @gaznav do you know how this information is relayed over this system ?
This is a crucial element of rebroadcast of traffic information which could be inaccurate

During the (private) trial conducted for ATOM/GRID testing of ModeS/3D we were very careful to only allow the data to be visible to the trial members, not wanting to scare the pants off unwitting users. For our system the only latency is in the MLAT datapath, in the case of FLARM, Fanet, Fanet+ is detected locally, negating all latency issues.
So for MLAT we were careful to calculate that latency/accuracy information and emit as part of the position report to airborne devices. This allows an easy distinction between strategic and tactical data, so whenever the position reported is such that the aircraft could potentially overlap your own position - the target is downgraded to bearingless - reporting relative height, but no bearing, this instructs the Pilot not to focus attention in what is most likely the wrong location

I think the partner for data provision is Planefinder ?
in which case the system data path is probably as follows:-
ATOM/OGN ->(internet)-> Glidernet ->(internet)-> Planefinder->(internet)-> Goodwood/Lasham
So I presume as this data contains latency in all of its data (as it is all provided remotely), that the accuracy information is provided over the link so the decoder and display system can handle this accordingly ?

Is this a GDL90 user extension interface on the SkyEcho providing bearingless target over the GDL90 interface?
How will this work for the non-SkyEcho UAT receivers ?

This is a clearly a critical part of the system integrity which needs to be determined, especially if existing decoders have no way of discriminating this information before passing it to the Pilot for evaluation

During the ModeS/3D trial, we used aircraft fitted with both Mode-S transponders and PilotAware, this was a crucial combination, it meant we could very accurately measure the position error due to the latency, by comparison of the GPS report from the PilotAware system (from the nationwide GRID), and measure against the MLAT calculated report from the Mode-S (courtesy 360Radar)
This allowed us to determine the system parameters when emitting the Mode-S/3D position reports. We plotted some very pretty graphs that were shown on this forum to show the fidelity of the overall system, and this same data is provided as part of the position report uplink

Thx
Lee
rjc101, kanga, ivor.phillips liked this