Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Looking at the dates it's well advanced and will finish next week, does anyone know what the results look like? Has anyone received anything in the air???

Lefty and I flew by Lasham while the trial was running apparently, it didn't seem to cause any excitement to SE2 or Skydemon.........
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Gobbledygeek. Can someone translate? I thought my sky echo picked up mode S. Does this give me mode A too or did I read it wrong?

It only picks up ADSB,

(there is no position associated with mode S)

It does however also pick up something a bit more modern called TIS-B

They are trialling sending you ALL traffic via the TIS-B, even the ones that aren’t transmitting ADSB.

If they roll it out nationwide, that’s the end of the EC war. You’ll see every aircraft everywhere regardless of which bit of kit you carry yourself.

You’ll also be visible to everyone carrying any piece of EC kit.

It’s a game changer.

It’s the proper way of doing the PAW retransmit, because EVERYONE can see it (SE2 & PAW and Stratux and everything else)

It closes the loop and we’ll all see and be seen.

The best bit, there is no winner/loser.

PAW/SE2 will both work.

Everyone can keep their PAW until they upgrade it.

(I’m presuming PAW can pick up TIS-B, I think it can)
Last edited by Cessna571 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ben K, gaznav, MikeB liked this
GrahamB wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:They are trialling sending you ALL traffic via the TIS-B, even the ones that aren’t transmitting ADSB.

Not all. Non-transponding/EC/FLARM traffic won't be transmitted.

Flarm is included.

It’s just those without a transponder who are not.

But they don’t care about seeing or being seen. We have to do something about them at some point! You can easily throw an SE2 in the back of a tiger moth.
gaznav liked this
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cessna571 wrote:
GrahamB wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:They are trialling sending you ALL traffic via the TIS-B, even the ones that aren’t transmitting ADSB.

Flarm is included.

But they don’t care about seeing or being seen. We have to do something about them at some point! You can easily throw an SE2 in the back of a tiger moth.

My bad wording. Non-transponding, non-FLARM, non-other EC was what I intended to convey.
GrahamB wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:
GrahamB wrote:

Flarm is included.

My bad wording. Non-transponding, non-FLARM, non-other EC was what I intended to convey.

When I worked with PAW I was constantly told PAW couldn’t see those aircraft.

I agreed, none of the EC solutions are primary radar. You can fit primary radar in a PA28, but it costs £10 million.

EC costs a few hundred quid.

The moral of the story is that it’s just as important to transmit something everyone can see as it is to see.

If you have no transponder or Flarm at all, throw an SE2 in the back for a few hundred quid. Join the party.

For everyone else, this closes the loop for everyone that PAW was closing for PAW users only.

And it closes it for PAW users too!
gaznav liked this