Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PBflyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Can anybody point me in the right direction please? I need to get my magnetos overhauled or at least a 500 hr check and parts replacement. Can anyone recommend a good place to get this done at reasonable cost? Many thanks.
By johnm
I have sympathy with the @Trent772 views, my one experience of Slick magneto overhaul was not positive and that was because of poor quality parts from Slick!
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Trent772 wrote:Which.....

The 500hr is a SB and is only a recommend. If they are running OK, leave them well alone.

I had my mags overhauled a month or so before flying the 182 to Osh. One of them failed on the Wick to Reykjavik leg.

Ian
johnm, Trent772 liked this
By TopCat
PBflyer wrote:Can anybody point me in the right direction please? I need to get my magnetos overhauled or at least a 500 hr check and parts replacement. Can anyone recommend a good place to get this done at reasonable cost? Many thanks.

I had my Slick 4370/4371 mags 500-hour overhauled by Gama Aviation at Bournemouth earlier in the year, after the engine had become very difficult to start.

Including VAT it came to a shade under £620. Plus CAMO labour to remove, send, refit it came to £1200 in all.

Starting is fine again now, so I assume it was done right :)
By irishc180
As I understand a Slick Magneto is a very expensive overhaul, but the 500hr inspection is reasonable. I think we paid 595 plus vat for 500hr on 4300 series mags last time.

Rex Ford or Chris Regent at Gama are good for this job.
By BoeingBoy
You don't say where you're based but Hangar 8 (Jetstream) at Halfpenny Green did my 500 hour inspection and I have no complaints. Cost was less than £500 but they didn't charge VAT at that time.