Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
MattL wrote:IMHO, from the present EC capabilities you have two things to think about / deal with

I agree with this.

I wish Tim would have an option for different colours for the traffic on the Sky Demon map as yellow doesn't stand out well enough.
By Cub
riverrock wrote:We have PAW piped into our intercom, with a volume control so you can turn it off in the circuit.
PAW gives information on traffic, but not any sort of collision avoidance, and so doesn't filter out not-relevant traffic based on track. A quick glance at a tablet can help check if track is likely an issue.

Are you confusing collision prediction with collision resolution? I would say that the former is pretty essential to effective deployment of any EC reception. SkyDemon Traffic is VERY effective at providing this functionality in a GA aircraft. I am far from confident that anyone should be attempting to deliver collision resolution advice in a visual environment. I don’t think TCAS Resolution Advisories are what is needed for the majority of the GA fleet engaging in visual ops.
kanga, Rob P, gaznav liked this
By Lefty
I spend a lot of time instructing in the very crowded airspace west of Waltham and towards Lasham & Basingstoke and I find that having SE2 piped into my headphones is extremely valuable.
When I am asking my student to perform a climb, a stall or a steep turn, it is invaluable to have SE2 & SkyDemon acting as a second pair of eyes warning me of traffic that it can see. I know it will not see PAWS, or non transponding aircraft - but it does see ADSB and FLARM - and the SKYDEMON threat assessment algorithm works extremely well. It warns me of threats - but doesn’t bother me with non threats.

When I’m in the cruise n my own a/c, I often have a second phone configured as a “radar style” traffic display (fed from SE2 & SkyDemon.

Speaking personally, I need to do some work to refine mySkyDemon configuration to reduce the number of airspace warnings. I want to receive them, but I’d like to reduce the number of repeat warnings I get. Eg “Warning, Controlled Airspace 200 feet above”. I know that. I am intentionally flying 200 feet below the base of CAS, so I don’t need reminding every couple minutes.

I think I’ll ask Tim if there is anything I can configure to reduce or stop repeat warnings.

In a busy circuit, one has to ignore the warnings and revert to lookout and building a mental picture of who is around you from the content of their radio calls.
Lefty wrote:I think I’ll ask Tim if there is anything I can configure to reduce or stop repeat warnings.

There may be some mileage in the topic and similar being covered in Skydemon Top Tips on the video stream.

I find myself wondering if I can disable the audio warnings about distant high terrain when approach to my home field. Can SD not detect the descent to the airfield and disable such warnings? :D
By leiafee
Cheers all.

Zero consensus on anything except “get audio but turn it off in the circuit” by my tally tickmarks.

If and when I do buy something I now know to factor that into the cost as nothing I have at present will so do.

Everything else around workflow seems to be a developing learning curve and/or matter of opinion.
Rob P liked this
By leiafee
kanga wrote:<drift :oops: >
were the Rally trips out and back your longest (so far) in the new steed ? comfy in flight and on arrival ?
</>

Easy and stable to fly for nice long flights and a pussycat on approach but my legs resented how far forward I was in my seat to get full rudder travel by the end of the trip.

First big upgrade once we’ve flown enough to be able to bear some maintenance down time will be the adjustable seats mod if I have my way!
kanga, Rob P liked this
FLARM and SE2, in different aircraft at different times, has saved from getting close to a glider and motor glider. One on x-wind and one on base-leg during climb out. So I leave my SE2 on, with FLARM receive, in the circuit too. Both were audio warnings well before I saw the visual. I am hoping it is not 3rd time unlucky! :shock:
By Sir Morley Steven
As the skill test standards document and the flight examiners handbook (yes I do know they are only guidance) haven’t even got to grips with teaching moving map during pilot training I am not holding my breath for EC device integration.
Rob P, T67M, Ibra and 1 others liked this
By leiafee
Sir Morley Steven wrote:As the skill test standards document and the flight examiners handbook (yes I do know they are only guidance) haven’t even got to grips with teaching moving map during pilot training I am not holding my breath for EC device integration.

What are you and your instructors telling them informally, if anything?
By skydriller
I seriously hope it is:

"You have a tablet/smartphone, right??..You should download a moving map flight app...here's a list of the most well known ones, most of them have free trials, some are entirely free. Practice using it on the ground first, and then ALWAYS have it running on every flight so you can check where you are regularly - even if you want to use traditional nav methods just for fun - so that you dont bust airspace and have the hassle that goes along with that."

(Edit to add )
And if you meant about EC, as a very minimum:

"All our aeroplanes have transponders. Turn on the Transponder for every flight and use mode C/S - Alt... if you dont know how they work, ask me"
Rob P liked this
By BoeingBoy
SkyEcho2 integrated into SkyDemon whilst blue toothing the audio to a Bose headset. You only need to look at the traffic as often as you look at the app. However I would urge caution not to rely solely on the audio.

One thing I would say is please don't buy something that sits on the coaming. I see horror (to me) photos of tablets and other boxes blocking the outside view for no useful purpose. You can guarantee that the aircraft that takes you out will come at you from behind that obstruction and probably be using an EC system that doesn't integrate with yours.
A4 Pacific liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
leiafee wrote:
Sir Morley Steven wrote:As the skill test standards document and the flight examiners handbook (yes I do know they are only guidance) haven’t even got to grips with teaching moving map during pilot training I am not holding my breath for EC device integration.

What are you and your instructors telling them informally, if anything?

If anything? Shame on you! I have made myself extremely unpopular banging on about it to anyone who will listen.. It’s effing ridiculous that we are told not to teach pilots to be safer.
leiafee liked this