Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Red wrote:Didnt they stick sidewinders on em for a short time?

Yes, to try and have a pop at the Argentinian ELINT/COMINT/SIGINT Boeing 707 aircraft. Very rudimentary fit though - no HUD, stern aspect only and likely to be more of a ‘wishile’ than missile. The one and only shot on trials hit the towing aircraft (luckily unmanned) rather than the flare pack it was supposed to hit. So, the sighting system was pretty crude (a couple bits of Perspex with a cross hair drawn on it). But worth a pop if the opportunity presented itself :thumright:
kanga liked this
Sidewinders, buckets of instant sunshine, torpedoes, anti-submarine, anti-surface, loaded with surveillance equipment and you could have a curry. The only real multi-role combat aircraft in the RAF.

A very manoeuvrable, four-engined jet that could climb on one engine. Could be beaten in a dogfight* by an F3 only if they sent two.

I did try to leave clues earlier as to how it happened but, suffice to say it was nothing like you suggested @gaznav. Don't worry, we had two navs, so I understand how confusing the world can be. :D

*dogfight noun - a close combat between military aircraft

@MattL :thumright:
gaznav, kanga liked this
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gaznav wrote:You missed out the dairy cream sponge and nockers’ stew… :thumleft:

I got a couple of trips on patrols as an air cadet. The thing that possibly impressed 14 year old me most was the seemingly bottomless bin bag full of choccie bars that the loady appeared to be constantly passing around. What a way to fight a war :D
rogerb, gaznav liked this
I had the “me on top of me” experience for a long time today, south of Odiham on the return from Sandown.

Thing is there were at the time 3 other aircraft on the same track, at one point Solent Radar had to tell us there were 4 of us, same track, similar height, in close proximity.

The amazing thing? I could see the other 3 on my screen at all times!

Get transponding people!

Also.. Helimed, right to left, same height, passed in front of us, visual.

Today really cemented my faith in EC and made me angry it’s not mandatory, but

What’s with the “me on top of me”, (red too!) what’s going on? are we about to get rebroadcast on SE2 like PAW do?
Dodo liked this
By Cub
Cessna571 wrote:
Cub wrote:Receiving TIS-B?

I don’t know.
Am I ?
Should I be?
Is it a setting?
Is there something I’ve set wrong?
Is it something “they” are doing wrong?

If it’s a trial, it’s not working very well, because it’s putting me on top of me.

No idea! Just a thought. I would expect a NOTAM and/or AIC if a trial was ongoing.
Dodo liked this
By Rich V
OK so that's @Dodo @Cessna571 and myself that have had these spurious threat warnings over the weekend (I had the same thing happen again on Sunday, leaving Goodwood for Popham around mid-day) and - in the absence of any reports from other locations - all in the same area ie SE Hants / SW Sussex. Before leaving Goodwood I checked with those excellent fellows in ATS, and they were not aware of anything that might have caused the problem. However ....

What intrigues me is that there have been UAV trials taking place locally, with several out of Gwd normal hours (which is key) TDA activations by NOTAM recently, and I believe ADSB has been a key element in those trials.

I put my hands up .... I am an utter techno-numpty, so this may be utter rubbish .... but loosely based on information from a knowledgeable fellow forumite: ... is TIS-B in any way connected to a UAV Trial ground station receiving an ADSB-out signal, and that signal being re-sent via TIS-B ostensibly to a drone, but being picked up as ADSB-in by the subject aircraft? My thinking is .... could the UAV ground station have been left on over the weekend? It seems a silly idea, but is it possible? The small delay involved, signal down and back up, would seem to fit with the 'shadow' threat being just behind the transmitting aircraft in every case, but at the same height (groundspeed being a more significant component value than climb rate).

I have no access to my Champ for 10 days or so to test again in flight, but in the meantime I shall scrutinise both SE2 and SD data for anything amiss.
Rich
@Rich V Mine was on Sunday at about 4pm, between Portsmouth and Odiham.

Mine was right on top of me the whole time it was there. Maybe they are refining it!

I was going to do a screenshot, but for most of the time it was there there were 3 other aircraft, same track, similar height, I already felt busy. (Even Solent radar warned us there were 4 of us, it looked like a queue, I watched 2 of the others turn off to Popham as we passed.)

My SE2 also seemed to be picking up everything. Including a bunch of gliders near Lasham, and I haven’t the flarm subscription.

I agree, I think someone is retransmitting ALL traffic in the area on TIS-B. I’ve never seen so many contacts, and I don’t remember seeing an aircraft that wasn’t on my screen.
By Rich V
Cub wrote:I suspect this may explain things https://nats-uk.ead-it.com/cms-nats/export/sites/default/en/Publications/briefing-sheets/BRIEFING_SHEET_GOODWOOD_AUGUST_2021.pdf

I'm gobsmacked. That briefing sheet ends with point 8 about feedback. They will get some from me, when I've calmed down. My initial thoughts: do they have a ****** clue what they are doing? And do they give a toss?

As for this farce being active 26/8 to 23/9, I flew from Gwd on 26 & 29 August, and 1st and 7th Sept without this problem occurring. So why did it start to be a problem 11/9?

Edited to add: the notification of a trial that starts 26 August has date of publication as 7 September!!
Dodo, Aerials liked this