Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Materials, tests, approaches and loads of that stuff is also necessary for the IMC.
Anyway, you kindly proved my point so thanks. :thumright:
By MattL
Come on! You know the IMC costs are nowhere near any of those! Do you charge your students 826.00 for an IMC test then and 1500+ for the groundschool?!

Us schools and FI/FEs owe it to pilots to give them an honest appreciation of their capabilities and the costs and challenges involved in any course we are selling them

Pilotrobbie has a great reports of his CBIR training and challenges and he says just under £12k cost in his blog
By Sir Morley Steven
Right. So you put a positive spin on the IMC, a negative spin on the CBIR and you don’t expect anyone to point that out?
Having an expired IMC rating and a lot of IR time behind you is the ideal time to trade up. And yes, it will cost more, particularly the rip off exam cost where the CAA get about three times as much as the examiner.
By MattL
No “negative spin” as you put it from me anywhere. I personally did the CB IR, I wrote about it at the link below.

Jim Thorpe and Rate One have been very honest about the challenges and costs of the CB IR route and the average training times.

I merely suggest that until the Basic IR is available that renewing / getting a IMCR may be more appropriate for a lot of people.

If your school that you are offering courses on here from has different experiences and case studies it would be great to hear about them so we can better understand.I honestly look forward to it and it would make interesting reading.

https://www.euroga.org/articles/misc/co ... ent-rating
By MattL
No it can’t. I think the logic being validity is 25 months so you could end up 4 years out of the aircraft potentially, whereas IR is every 2 years in the aircraft if so alternate sim trips.

Can’t remember what Basic IR is, will have to have a read
Ibra liked this
By TopCat
MattL wrote:Well being very generous and saying a lapsed IMC holder could get to IR test standard in 15 hours, I reckon the basics are about £7000 before any travel and hotel costs.

Strewth, I can't imagine being ready for a proper IR in only 15 hours of flying, and I've had an IMC rating on several occasions. It's not the flying so much - I could probably get that back fairly quickly if I spent a lot of time on the 'mental picture' fluency in a sim of some kind.

It's more the procedural stuff that I have virtually no idea about.

Not only that, but every time I pass an IMC rating flight test (which I've done several times), I feel an absolute fraud, knowing that doing it for real in bouncy clouds and doing it under the hood in clear smooth air are very different.