Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul Stout
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi

I have an old IMC Rating noted as a previous held rating on my licence

Can my rating still be renewed by additional training and taking the test again?

Thanks Paul
By WelshRichy
Yes.

CAP804, although not updated anymore, is the best source of information for the IMC/IR(R) and renewal requirements. Although On-Track Aviation have, as always, compiled an excellent single page of all requirements:

https://www.ontrackaviation.com/imc-rating.html

Basically if less than 5 years a renewal test. If more than 5 years training as required and an initial skills test and if more than 10 years the same plus an IMC Rating Written Test.

I'm about to start mine, more than ten years (I had seven years away from flying up until 2018).
By Sir Morley Steven
You could think about the CBIR. The theory is a challenge, good idea to do it with others (I didn’t) the training course is much shorter depending on your IF experience and it goes on your licence a full IR
By MattL
Have a look at form SRG1176 for the test schedule to give you an idea what you need to get back up to speed on

The CBIR is generally massive overkill in time and expense for what most people need
By johnm
MattL wrote:Have a look at form SRG1176 for the test schedule to give you an idea what you need to get back up to speed on

The CBIR is generally massive overkill in time and expense for what most people need

This is because people in the UK find flying IFR hard, especially in the South, because airways routing and ATC is Carp and utterly focussed on CAT. As soon as you cross the channel, get North of Manchester or cross the Irish sea it makes flying journeys a total breeze.
By MattL
A IRR renewal will be less than £1000 all in and could be done in less than a week.

With study travel and accommodation, exams, IREs test fees, ATO training etc etc a CBIR would probably be nearer £10k all in.

Most people don’t then have the access to aircraft with suitable performance / suitably equipped to use IR utility in any case.

An IRR now with a hopeful look forward to the Basic IR is entirely the right fit for most people.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
MattL wrote:An IRR now with a hopeful look forward to the Basic IR is entirely the right fit for most people.

The Basic IR will be great if it is recognised outside of the UK, if not I fear it will be of little value.

Ian
PeteSpencer liked this
By PeteSpencer
I wonder every year whether it’s worth the expense of revalidation of my IR: this year with COVID etc I’ll have done just one airways flight :

I always ask the examiner to sign off my IR(R) on alternate years -I forgo the 25th month to keep same date - as a ‘back up.

I guess while I can keep my medical I’ll try to keep all my ratings up to date…..Having invested so much time and money in getting it in the first place it’s hard to let it slide……

Bit like forking out every year to stay on the GMC register even though I gave up my licence to practice years ago :roll:
johnm and 1 others liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
MattL wrote:A IRR renewal will be less than £1000 all in and could be done in less than a week.

With study travel and accommodation, exams, IREs test fees, ATO training etc etc a CBIR would probably be nearer £10k all in.

Most people don’t then have the access to aircraft with suitable performance / suitably equipped to use IR utility in any case.

An IRR now with a hopeful look forward to the Basic IR is entirely the right fit for most people.

There’s an eighth share in a TB20 at Shoreham on here for 10.5k which you would get back when you sell it.
If anyone wants to know how to convert their expired IRr to a full IR for significantly less than ten grand call my club.
johnm, Andrew Sinclair liked this
By MattL
@Sir Morley Steven I’m sure you can give a break down of the costs and time here to educate us all? I would be very interested to see, especially as my estimate is obviously so far out
By Chilli Monster
Having just done my renewal flight test (together with my CAA SEP after it lapsed nearly 12 years ago) I found it no great hardship. However, as an FAA IR in current practice I’ve emailed the CAA to see if I’m required to do the exam (I don’t mind either way).

As for the IR(R)/IR debate - with over 600 hours IFR, and over 150 hours IF (sole ref) then the cost rapidly reduces as there is no exam requirement. My plan is to renew the CAA MEP followed by CB-IR. Even in an MEP I don’t expect it to be anywhere near £10k.
By johnm
Does someone still think we're in for 200 hours ground school and 50 hours flying??
By MattL
Well being very generous and saying a lapsed IMC holder could get to IR test standard in 15 hours, I reckon the basics are about £7000 before any travel and hotel costs.

Ground-school 988.00
Exams = 500
Exam materials = 100.00
15 hours ATO flight training x 250.00 = 3750.00
Test aircraft hire = 400.00
Approach and landing fees = 500.00
IR test initial 826.00
IR issue 127.00
Class 1 audio gram 60.00