Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By baronbombburst
Today I purchased a David Clark pro x2 headset from the lovely people at Flightstore (the ink is still drying on my FI rating, so I thought I'd treat myself).

I watched them open the box from new for me to try on and It went straight back in the box after. I got home and went to put some batteries in it, then I noticed a nasty crack in the battery box. It seems to radiate from the screw hole. Maybe the screw was put in over tight.

I called them up and they couldn't have been more helpful, but it will take time to get a replacement part in from America (Covid etc).

Not really what I expected from a David clark product especially when I've paid out £765!
I'm sure it will get sorted out eventually.

Has anybody else had this issue?
By Rob P
baronbombburst wrote:Has anybody else had this issue?

No

But then I can't really see why anyone would buy DC these days.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There should be a coded ‘checking slip’ in the box which will identify the packer . If it’s not there then ‘the seal was broken’ and you should reject the entire item not just he fobbed off with a replacement part.
Spooky liked this
By PaulSS
@Rob P
But then I can't really see why anyone would buy DC these days.

Because they're light, have excellent ANR, are (normally) very robust and you don't have to wear a sheep on your head. Oh, and Bluetooth works very well indeed.

I have two DC-One X headsets and one DC-One X Pro and have no quality control issues at all. Sometimes even a brand new Aston Martin arrives with a scratch on it. So long as the dealer puts it right then there's every reason to continue buying DCs.
JAFO, Stampe, PeteSpencer and 2 others liked this
By Boxkite
baronbombburst wrote:I called them up and they couldn't have been more helpful, but it will take time to get a replacement part in from America (Covid etc).

Yes, they certainly could have been more helpful.
By law you were due a whole new replacement kit (at least they should open another box and exchange the part), or you get the money back pronto.
If they don't have another set to exchange it with then you should wonder why the last set they had in stock happened to be damaged.
Why would you settle for less?
By baronbombburst
Boxkite wrote:
baronbombburst wrote:I called them up and they couldn't have been more helpful, but it will take time to get a replacement part in from America (Covid etc).

Yes, they certainly could have been more helpful.
By law you were due a whole new replacement kit (at least they should open another box and exchange the part), or you get the money back pronto.
If they don't have another set to exchange it with then you should wonder why the last set they had in stock happened to be damaged.
Why would you settle for less?

I think you are right. I'll call them back tomorrow. It's rather annoying because it's a 140 mile round trip to the shop. I just happened to be passing on the way back from a trip today.
Hangar16 liked this
By B1engineer
I've had 2 pro ex's for about 3 years now. Great headsets never had any quality issues.
Someone has overtightened that screw, probably not at the factory!
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Exchange fo another one sans quibble is really what should happen, free shipping both ways. That's what they offer for online sales.

Legally you are entitle to a replacement with a new one, the shipping costs should be a gesture of good will so you're not disadvantaged because you picked it up in person.
JAFO, Spooky liked this
By MattL
Especially at the minute I wouldn’t accept a headset that wasn’t fully with factory seals. Wonder if someone dropped it then did a return that the shop missed
By Boxkite
MattL wrote:Especially at the minute I wouldn’t accept a headset that wasn’t fully with factory seals.

Not very practical. The OP was able to try them on, and, presumably, try the ANR, what if he didn't like them? Next person says "I am not having those, they've been opened".
By Boxkite
MattL wrote:Yep that’s exactly what I’d say. Stores should have a try on pair that people use at shows; any for sale should be new sealed

And then the last demo pair gets sold off from an unsealed box with a cracked battery box.
:(