Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:hmm.. to rehearse the timeline:

Yes, we know the story, but an airfield isn't much good any more if you rip up all the hangars, cafes, other support buildings and hard runways and build houses on them.

It gave the green light to property developers to buy up airfields.

Look at the struggle Fairoaks is currently having.
By Overflight
Re: Fairoaks - Gove wrote this back in 2019:

Mr. Mark Simpson
Unity Land LLP
28 Bolton Street
Mayfair
London W1J 8BP

4 March 2019

Dear Mark,

As you know from our meeting on 6 February, I would very much like Fairoaks Airport to continue in its current form, rather than be redeveloped into a Garden Village. I know that many of my constituents share this view, feeling that the large-scale housing development plans for Fairoaks are flawed and contentious - and ultimately inappropriate.

Thus, I was most interested to learn more about your proposal to keep this important airfield, which is an increasingly rare resource that deserves protection. Your proposal also ensures that the vital businesses and jobs at the Airport are maintained and can flourish.

I shall discuss your proposal with colleagues, and I would be most grateful if you can continue to keep me informed.

With every good wish,
The Rt. Hon. Michael Gove MP
Member of Parliament for Surrey Heath
Paul_Sengupta, kanga liked this
By kanga
Paul_Sengupta wrote:..

Yes, we know the story, but an airfield isn't much good any more if you rip up all the hangars, cafes, other support buildings and hard runways and build houses on them.

It gave the green light to property developers to buy up airfields.

Yes to the first; 'not proven' to the second ? Did any developer buy up any whole airfield curtilage, and then apply to build on only the 'formerly developed' areas ? Asked in genuine curiosity ..

And even before the Guidance in question, airfields were not protected from wholesale development, if any LA Planning process (Committees, Officers, or former overriding latter, or SoS overriding all) chose to allow development of the entire curtilage or part thereof. I recall when flying over East Anglia in the late '60s, with the many 'disused' airfield marked on the topo, spotting that many already had structures of some sort everywhere including on the runways and taxiways. I particularly remember lots of poultry sheds.

So I still claim that the perpetuation of the personification of the blame and opprobrium for the original Guidance document onto the then SoS of a huge new Department is at least unfair. To me, it is analogous to domestic opponents of the current US President blaming the possession of military hardware of US by the Taliban as entirely the result of a deliberate decision by the President since he took office (inheriting a deadline for withdrawal from his predecessor, negotiated with the Taliban without consulting Afghan government or Allies) to 'give' it to them, and speculate what he plans to 'give' to them next. This obviously ignores stuff given by previous Administrations over ~20 years to Afghan forces, or the fact that stuff actually left by US forces at the very end was meant to be (and reportedly largely was) ' damaged beyond repair'.

Obviously, as ever, other Forumites may disagree.
By Paul_Sengupta
kanga wrote:Did any developer buy up any whole airfield curtilage, and then apply to build on only the 'formerly developed' areas ? Asked in genuine curiosity ..

https://fairoaksairport.uk/fairoaks-history/

"Fairoaks, which by now consisted of 310 acres of which 210 acres was licensed by the CAA and its operating company Fairoaks Airport Ltd (FAL), was sold to Erinaceous Group Plc (ERG). On the same day ERG itself sold off 40 acres of the airfield comprising most of the airport buildings, forming a Major Developed Site (MOS) within the Green Belt, plus some undeveloped land to Albemarle Fairoaks Ltd, an independent property syndicate company."

And now this:

https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1867028#p1867028

kanga wrote:So I still claim that the perpetuation of the personification of the blame and opprobrium for the original Guidance document onto the then SoS of a huge new Department is at least unfair.

Well, it didn't help. Not one little bit. The degree of harm is possibly debatable.
By Red
He is on the Telly right now.
comes across as just like the other £$%@~s he shares meetings with
By johnm
He was on BBC question time and had a "discussion" with David Lammy
By peter272
I wonder which college these politicos go to to learn the 'hail fellow, well met' persona and the skill of producing a word salad that sounds good, but signifies nothing.

Grant Shapps is a prime example and last night's Robert Court interview shows he has an apprentice.

Sadly, climbing the greasy pole and sticking to the Party line trumps doing the right thing.