Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Trent772
Nice interview, watched this morning.

A shame you didn't get chance to mention the fact that any Brit pilots with a Brit or EASA licence are now prevented from flying EASA aeroplanes as we used to be able to do - however the Euro pilots can fly ours. And no one really told us that our shiny EASA licence is now worth bumwad.

How did that happen :evil:

So you go through a flag of convenience country like Malta and re validate what you already had...... Bonkers.
PaulSS, G-JWTP liked this
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The line about “competition” for land struck me as code for “tough luck, small fry”.

He can’t not realise that GA is in no sort of position to “compete” financially with property developers.

Or that his own party are wedded to “competition” as being a good thing and almost any sort of restrictions on it as bad.

I didn’t come away convinced that he even believes losing airfields is a bad thing.
By Stampe
Well done to our flying magazines for gaining access to government at a level which our so called alphabet organisations have been unable to achieve over many years!I am confident he knows just how poorly the CAA is performing at present.

Regards Stampe
Fly Safe Fly Considerate Fly Compliant
By patowalker
Robin500 wrote:He’s like any one of these current government ministers. Completely untrustworthy.

Yes. Unlike Two Jags, who re-classified airfields as brownfield sites for planning purposes, which has no bearing at all on the present situation. :wink:
tb10er, Rob P, flybymike liked this
By johnm
Sadly the value of Shapps’ words wouldn’t buy me a Mars Bar let alone pay a landing fee :roll:
brentford77 liked this
By Kirkbymoorside
Stampe wrote:Well done to our flying magazines for gaining access to government at a level which our so called alphabet organisations have been unable to achieve over many years!I am confident he knows just how poorly the CAA is performing at present.

Regards Stampe
Fly Safe Fly Considerate Fly Compliant

Bit harsh on the LAA Stampe ? The 4 Sept interview by Flyer was at the LAA Rally where he was hosted by the LAA…..
By Bald Sparrow
Good questions from Ian.
Evasion from Mr Shapps.
Did he answer the question about a simple transfer process for FAA to CAA PPLs? I don't think so.
He is an aviation enthusiast who wants to keep his job.
By Human Factor
Less oxygen for the rest of us to use now.

I believe the Peter Principle is soon to be renamed the Grant Principle.
By matspart3
The folks at the YES stand with the Air Scouts did manage to get him to set up a meeting with Aviation Minister, Roberts Courts for the various volunteer groups and charities engaging with youngsters. I ‘happened to be passing’ in my fly2help trustee capacity at the time, so that was definitely a positive thing achieved at the Rally.

Fly2help (and a number of other organisations - The Air League, RAeS spring to mind) received grant funding in 2019 to deliver our ‘Aim High’ programme as part of the DfT Reach for the Skies initiative.

We’ll certainly be using the upcoming meeting to seek more support from DfT for all the various similar activities taking place around the country. Please DM me if you’re doing anything like this. It would be sensible if we could approach this collectively and, even if no cash is forthcoming, share best practice/experiences etc.

More generally in regard to aviation and, frankly, whatever your politics, it’s clearly a good thing that the Minister has a PPL. He ‘gets’ what we do.

I’m as frustrated as most by the apparent lack of delivery and gaping, smoking foot wound set backs, such as giga factories and EGNOS, despite the positive noises coming from Shapps and the APPG, but we’ve never been in this position before and hopefully he isn’t reshuffled anytime soon…
Stampe, James Chan, kanga and 1 others liked this
By Rob P
Robin500 wrote:He’s like any one of these current government ministers. Completely untrustworthy.

The word 'current' is superfluous surely?

Rob P
By James Chan
I enjoyed watching the interview and hope Ian Seager’s later conversations with Grant Shapps will eventually deliver something positive.
By Peter Gristwood
James Chan wrote:I enjoyed watching the interview and hope Ian Seager’s later conversations with Grant Shapps will eventually deliver something positive.

A case of hope over experience, sadly. What the heck was that guff about the NAA - teaming up with Oz, Nz to create a new power block to bypass EASA? That's going to do a lot for UKGA. :roll: