Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Mz Hedy
NDB_hold wrote:
Mz Hedy wrote:
NDB_hold wrote:...? Or is that a function of the lack of engine braking?

I'm surprised electric reverse thrust isn't included (or maybe that's in later lesson).

Not that I've ever flown electric.

Or more to the point, regenerative braking to recharge the batteries in a steep descent. Would improve endurance and make safe slowing down easier at the same time,

or both 8)
By akg1486
NDB_hold wrote:Why is that in the SEE curriculum, though? That could be true of many aircraft? Or is that a function of the lack of engine braking?

Proper side slipping is needed to fly this particular aircraft (Pipistrel Velis) but have nothing to do with the fact that it has an electric powerplant. Most of us in the club, me included, actually had little to no exposure to side slipping during the PPL training. I use slide slipping in PA28s or C172s when coming in high on final, something that happens quite rarely. The only other aircraft I fly is the Pipistrel Virus, but that has air breaks so no side slips are ever needed. Someone who flies a lot of, e.g., Piper Cub won't need that practice.

Next two lessons booked for Monday. I'm expecting circuits, or should I say "electric circuits"? :D Then there will be various emergency scenarios and the whole thing will end with a trip to another airfield, re-charge and back home again.
T6Harvard liked this
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
For me this seems to be a time of change.
From flying everyday with purpose in a variety of aircraft types to next to nothing.
In November I did my one hour with an instructor in a C152, and five weeks later I could not fly it, need another check out...
In March I did a solo flight in a Warrior, this facility I still have.
Had a few ‘passenger flights’.
In May I tried out an Ikarus C42, dual...
Then I did a CRI course and it took a long while for this rating to be applied to my licence.
Flew an Auster, I can still grease it on, and it was 2004 when I last flew one... Concentrates the mind that, no time for complacency.
Landing the Cessna 185 wasn’t a problem either, so my skills haven’t deteriorated much it seems.
Warrior four times (one of which was dual at another club) including a trip to Bembridge when the wind was 30-35 knots and there were CBs about. That resulted in phone calls, was I competent?
Used the CRI for the first two times in a J3 out of Eggesford... I will go the distance for my friends.
CRI for the third time in the Tiger Moth, yes I’m still competent in these types.
Checked out in the Super Cub, but club rules for renters are half the crosswind “limit”, so five knots. That’s no challenge, so one can’t perfect one’s skills
Up in the Jodel 112, run in and permit flight test, a lovely little aeroplane to fly.
Two flights in the Sherwood Ranger, stately flying in a Brunel structured biplane.
Passenger flight in a Minicab to the Rally.

Yesterday was beautiful, and I might have been allowed to fly the Super Cub, I probably would need a check out again. But I couldn’t be bothered. There was no-one to share the experience (pleasure shared is pleasure doubled), and no specific purpose.
In a way club rules, and that denial of a flight before because of the shifting winds, conditions that I have sent many a student on their first solo in a tailwheel aeroplane, has taken the edge of my enthusiasm.

I am being encouraged to buy a share in a Luscombe in which I have had a few passenger flights... But in my mind is finding a job, earning a living again, and where I might be.

It’s a time of life perhaps to look back on a fantastic aviation life, and accept that the future can never match the past I’ve been fortunate to have.
Aerials, Sooty25 liked this
By kanga
MichaelP wrote:For me this seems to be a time of change.
... But in my mind is finding a job, earning a living again, and where I might be.

Thinking there must be a niche for you somehere here:

https://careers.caa.co.uk/search/

I looked at the details of this:

https://careers.caa.co.uk/job/Gatwick-A ... 706012301/

.. but it gives only as a fifth desirable attribute:

" Exposure or an interest in airspace or aviation issues would be desirable, but not essential. " :?
MichaelP liked this
By QSD
137 hours for me, mostly instruction. I only do three days per week, so not bad given the weather and COVID restrictions.

High - taking my 9 year old grandson for his first lesson in the Slingsby,

No lows so far:-)
MichaelP liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
T6Harvard wrote:Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would take off, fly round and land an aircraft but I have.

Was it just me who started reading that sentence in the voice of Churchill?
By T6Harvard
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would take off, fly round and land an aircraft but I have.

Was it just me who started reading that sentence in the voice of Churchill?

Have you been looking at my fb profile :lol:
kanga liked this