Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MattL
Obviously it has been a pretty disrupted year, but speaking to people over the weekend there definitely seems to have been highs and lows... It would be interesting to see what people's experiences of 2021 so far are and how they think it will define their future flying... I'll start:

Hours so far: just over 100, not too far off normal as a part-time FI/FE

Highs: loads and loads of tests, has been great to help people renewing or getting back into flying, PPL level market seems to be very buoyant

Lows: not being able to do my normal air cadet flying so far, hopefully back on course for that later this year

Thoughts on the future: not sure if the investment I made in gaining MEP qualifications will continue to be worthwhile in the short term; not sure how commercial level training will pan out or hold up, especially with the UK v EASA factor.
T6Harvard liked this
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
75 hours for me so far this calendar year, which pro-rates to 112 in the full year - a little over half my usual 200ish. Interestingly though if I pro-rate my June-August activities (61 hours) I am on target for 244 hours. Clearly a year of two halves!

For somebody that normally flies to overseas destinations and normally flies IFR, I have just 4 return trips outside the UK FIRs to my name and I've visited more UK airfields in the last 2 years than at any other time in my flying career. Amongst them, some really great discoveries that I will definitely be returning to, even if the old normal ever re-establishes itself.
By Rob P
At the opposite end of the spectrum (not that one)

A full 11.5 hours including an instructor hour, some circuits at RAF Wittering, a fun weekend in Brighton, a challenging only-just-VFR trip to St Merryn and a couple of short aeros sessions.

I hope this end of the year does better :(

Rob P
By Iceman
55 hours so far this calendar year, not starting until post-lockdown. TB20, Seneca and Maule. Entirely UK mainland with a couple of trips to Scotland, up as far as the Orkneys, and down to Cornwall/ Devon. I must get over to Jersey soon.

Iceman 8)
By ls8pilot
For 2021 so far around 77 hrs (28 flights) so far. We missed some flying during 1Q21 lockdown, but relatively poor & inconsistent weather for XC gliding (at least in this part of the UK) has been the major factor this summer(I'm about 15% down on XC Km).

The other really big impact has been on the social side - very restricted club activities, bar and clubhouse shut or in limited use for much of the year :( ..... mind you it has saved me some money on my normal expenditure in the cafe!
T6Harvard liked this
By Morten
12 flights, 13 hours in 2021, since mid-April so annualised, that would be 40 or so which is substantially below par. My main issue at the moment is my aircraft - due to my own incompetence...
By mpk
123 hours, most instructing. A brilliant group trip to west Scotland where the weather meant I was able to visit every airfield planned (15). Barra, by coincidence, was my 300th airfield ever visited.
T6Harvard liked this
By carlmeek
I’ve flown quite a lot … 170 hours. A mix of rotary for fun, fixed wing instructing, aerobatic teaching ticket, IR(R) rating and some IFR stuff subsequently.

Most fun bit: last weekend formation and display practice at Pembrey in the Gazelle with 6 other aircraft :)
T6Harvard liked this
By Melanie Moxon
20hrs 40mins so far this year.

Highs: consolidating and building tailwheel experience, revalidation signed off (today). I have been to plenty of club events, mucking in ground crewing at Breighton.

Lows: other than the 'Rona nothing worth noting at the moment.
T6Harvard liked this
By Trent772
136hrs thus far...

Weird, weird year.

Back on the tools after a brief retirement, flying a PC-12. SET/IR etc was interesting, thanks to Torbs and James.

182, RV12, RV7, PC-12 just been a busy year with plenty more planned.

Weather has been kind, lots of RV7 stuff, no issues at all with this summer.

:thumleft: :thumleft:
T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
oldbiggincfi wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:The aeroplane went in for its annual in May...and had nothing wrong with it. :roll:

There will be when you get it back :cry:

Nah, I've already test flown it once (I have to do it again because of the bonkers LAA rules) and it was ok. That was about 45 mins of the aforementioned hour, the other 15 mins being the ferry flight to maintenance in May! :D
By JodelDavo
Been a busy year for me so far, trying to recoup the loss of earnings during lockdown, so pretty much working every day, and hardly having any time to fly my own aeroplane.

Hours so far: 213Hrs, made up of part time instructing, part time para flying, bit of 'other' part time flying stuff and of course, some GA fun flying. I'm meant to be semi retired!!

Highs: Each day in the air is a high really. It's really quite a privilege to be able to look down on the earth from above.

Lows: Witnessing a very good friend die in a flying accident.

Thoughts on the future: I'd like to fly my own aeroplane some more, visit all the places on my list and carry on getting a medical each year.