Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JonathanB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The problem with calling up a sector is if the flight plan hasn’t yet been been activated they may not immediately have the details. It can take a bit of time to search it out and perform the necessary actions which might not be possible if the sector is busy and doesn’t have a Planner/Support Controller/Assistant available. I think that’s a TC frequency and I’m not sure how they would find details, especially as they are more often single-controller positions I believe.
By GrahamB
JonathanB wrote:The problem with calling up a sector is if the flight plan hasn’t yet been been activated they may not immediately have the details. It can take a bit of time to search it out and perform the necessary actions which might not be possible if the sector is busy and doesn’t have a Planner/Support Controller/Assistant available. I think that’s a TC frequency and I’m not sure how they would find details, especially as they are more often single-controller positions I believe.

In other words, the National Air Traffic Service mandate is not that at all. :roll:
I gave them a bell and the very helpful chap suggested another number, 401008, but it is region specific. However, he was confident that whoever answers should be able to transfer if not in the right area.

What a kerfuffle :mrgreen:
By James Chan
I thought ANSPs have some 3Di targets to make these days, so orbiting around burning fuel unnecessarily isn't exactly meeting that.

National Air Traffic Service

NATS is no longer National Air Traffic Service. It is just one ANSP out of many. They should have had another name really to avoid the confusion.
By Sir Morley Steven
Had this twice. Once from Blackbushe, once from Cumbernauld.
Blackbushe to Newquay, no clearance ( I should have asked) and Farnborough “didn't have” my FP. After much not joined up stuff I got onto Cardiff (Bristol were useless) for my transit across the class A at FL80.

Cumbernauld to Blackbushe, Glasgow said they didn't have it, seconds later I got my squawk and CAS clearance.

Every other time they have had it.
By JonathanB
James Chan wrote:
National Air Traffic Service

NATS is no longer National Air Traffic Service. It is just one ANSP out of many. They should have had another name really to avoid the confusion.

It’s been just “NATS” for quite some time. It isn’t an acronym any more despite that being it’s origin.
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Had this twice. Once from Blackbushe, once from Cumbernauld.
Blackbushe to Newquay, no clearance ( I should have asked) and Farnborough “didn't have” my FP.

Did you request it from Blackbushe (they should have had a flight progress strip) who would have co-ordinated with TC and then Farnborough
Trent772 wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:Don’t hold your breath

I presume you have had similar ?

IFR procedures in the UK are aimed squarely at airlines using major airport pairs. If you don't fit neatly into that box, just go VFR and save the nav charges!
By Genghis the Engineer
No Nav charges below 2 tonnes thankfully.

I've had similar experiences to those described by others. Most recently flying around in circles over the Solent outbound Sandown - thankfully in VMC, because they'd lost my flight plan to Blackpool - and then was forced to try and get a 1969 Cherokee 140 up to FL90, as for some reason the FL70 in my original flight plan was deeply problematic (for reasons that were a complete mystery to me).

But, I've always got there eventually.

G
Trent772 wrote:
There has to be a more consistent system, so if anyone has suggestions - I am all ears ...... :thumleft:

Try the AFISO or the A/G operator at your point of departure. If they cannot help then call Swanwick on the phone.

See my post at the bottom of the first page on this thread.
Genghis the Engineer wrote:No Nav charges below 2 tonnes thankfully.

I've had similar experiences to those described by others. Most recently flying around in circles over the Solent outbound Sandown - thankfully in VMC, because they'd lost my flight plan to Blackpool - and then was forced to try and get a 1969 Cherokee 140 up to FL90, as for some reason the FL70 in my original flight plan was deeply problematic (for reasons that were a complete mystery to me).

But, I've always got there eventually.

G

There are minimum cruising levels notified somewhere for each section of CTA and I believe the minimum for SAM northbound is FL90.
The bit that always makes me twitchy is if I file an airways plan which 'pops in and out on the system'

I flew Bristol to Inverness yesterday FL120. The route started with N864 which is fine to TALGA but for the next 40nm is Class G at FL120 until OKTEM and getting all the oxygen out to climb to FL150 for a few miles is a PITA. I was planning to stay with Weston under an ATSOCAS and that worked fine, in fact, it did, popping in and out, all the way up to Inverness with Scottish Control so big thumbs up :thumleft:

However, the other week, Bristol to Southend I thought I would be smart ar$se and route via Brize instead of CPT. Not a good plan and even though Bristol Radar kindly checked the route with me on departure I left the system and then had to orbit a few miles east of Brize whilst the nice London Information sorted me out. So bit thumbs down for smart ar$einess :cry:

I will go back to my normal procedure of 'get into the system' and stay there until I pop out the other end somewhere vaguely close to where I want to go, leaving in the descent if necessary. 8)
By Sir Morley Steven
chevvron wrote:
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Had this twice. Once from Blackbushe, once from Cumbernauld.
Blackbushe to Newquay, no clearance ( I should have asked) and Farnborough “didn't have” my FP.

Did you request it from Blackbushe (they should have had a flight progress strip) who would have co-ordinated with TC and then Farnborough

No, which is why I wrote that I should have! So I didn’t get a squawk or the frequency. 125.25 was busy and by the time I got through I was almost out of their area. At least they agreed that it isn’t joined up.
By Lefty
I’ve tried phoning Swanwick 5 times in the last 4 weeks.
Twice I was told “sorry we can’t help - call your first enroute ATSU”

Twice I was told to PHONE Farnborough (my first ATSU) - but they told me they couldn’t help - but call them once I was airborne. They found my FP after a very short delay.

Once - Just Once, Swanwick gave me a squawk and instructions where to join CAS at what time and what level.