Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In the middle of a hol in France. IFR to Cannes then IFR to Rodez. No probs at all as initially the FP took me over a border. IFR to Rodez did loads of CB dodging, along with everyone else, no probs. Mostly at FL120.
Flyingfemme wrote:
Trent772 wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:Don’t hold your breath

I presume you have had similar ?

IFR procedures in the UK are aimed squarely at airlines using major airport pairs. If you don't fit neatly into that box, just go VFR and save the nav charges!

The PC-12 doesn't really 'do that thing' too well :mrgreen:

Also, after 25 plus years of airline flying, I am not that keen on the VFR skirmish thing..... :pirat: Our 29 year old Zim trainer is fine with it, I am an old fart :clown:

Headcorn to Yeadon this aft was excellent, no issues at all with London, great join and clearance.
By Sir Morley Steven
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just filed from Rodez to La Rochelle for Thursday. IFR route is more direct that the VFR one I will fly if wx allows. It does get bumpy down here though so it’s PROB95 IFR at FL120. They give a squawk of 1000 to loads of aircraft here if you look at FR24. That’s what we had on the way over to Cannes.
Ibra liked this
1000 is used for IFR within France in FL100-FL180 away from Paris & Nantes TMA, I think General Delta ATC (LTA controllers) can auto match your FPL with your mode S without mode A, also if you have 1000 you are likely to be cleared on direct to destination as there is usually no one on IFR in that band aa GA can't breath well up there :wink:

LTA stands for Lower or Low Traffic Area :lol:
Well......

About to launch from Thruxton today, called Swanwick, super helpful chap - reg, time of departure, standby....

Clearance, squawk, frequency.

Called 134.125 on departure.

Hello - cleared into controlled airspace in the climb FL100 towards CPT.

Brilliant

A result :thumleft:
The numbers which we use will get you through to an Ops Assistant who will liaise directly with a Controller and come back to you with a clearance are:

West BPK, BNN etc.... 02380 401 005
South LAM, DET etc......02380 401 008

During Covid I suspect they didn’t monitor both numbers so if no reply try the other one.
Andrew Sinclair wrote:Yeah, that doesn’t happen often/at all. The closest I sometimes get is an instruction to ROCAS, a squawk and a frequency to call when airborne and en route to a certain airways reporting point.

I’ll revise that, today on the way back from Fenton (aka Leeds East) - fabulous airfield BTW self service fuel with landing fees waived if you buy 50litres, no hassle, no stress, perfect AGCS, good cafe etc etc cannot fault it, just needs at RNP IAP!

“Scottish Control clears G-XXXX to join CAS in the climb to FL90 en route UPTON squawk blah blah blah” on the ground at Fenton 8) :thumright: