Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Londlostdriver
Apologies, I can’t find the last thread on proposals regarding Fairoaks, however, I am told that the Chobham society are reporting that the owners of the “developed area” of the site have given notice that they will not renew Fairoaks Operations’ lease on the tower, fire station and hangar which will have to be vacated by Feb 2022. The airport has confirmed, apparently, that flying operations will continue and they will seek alternative solutions.
chevvron liked this
By chevvron
Londlostdriver wrote:Apologies, I can’t find the last thread on proposals regarding Fairoaks, however, I am told that the Chobham society are reporting that the owners of the “developed area” of the site have given notice that they will not renew Fairoaks Operations’ lease on the tower, fire station and hangar which will have to be vacated by Feb 2022. The airport has confirmed, apparently, that flying operations will continue and they will seek alternative solutions.

Have the owners applied for planning permission again?
I think the 'developed area' may refer to the north side buildings ie the ex GAMA hangars and part of the north east open area including about half the eastern end of the apron etc (although the main storage hangar plus the fire station and control tower were not part of this area last I heard), this being the bit 'owned' by Erinaceous when they divided the entire site up leaving most of the runway separate.
By chevvron
Chobham News and Mail dated 7 Oct:
Nothing new at the moment.
Fairoaks Operations Ltd (FOL) who hold the licence have been unable to agree commercial terms with the non airside landowner TEREF ADP on the renewing of the lease which terminates on 20 Feb 2022 and to create some independence, FOL are in the process of relocating various operational buildings to new sites on airport land operated by FOL's parent company, Albemarle Fairoaks Airport Ltd.
TEREF ADP are believed to be either funded by or owned by either RBS or HSBC bank however the last planning application was withdrawn on Feb 2020.
There is intense local opposition to housng development both in Chobham and Ottershaw including from the local MP for Surrey Heath, Michael Gove what with other local developments at Longcross, a disused MOD site and a new development on Windsor Road, Chobham, just south of Chestnut Lane where a disused market garden is being re-developed.
By Marchettiman
Someone needs to get the control tower and hangars listed PDQ. I remember going there as a kid in the '50's, it was magical...so were the aeroplanes based ther then.
chevvron liked this
By Republic
Unfortunately Historic England looked in to listing back in 2017 when the original development plans came to light. They rejected the listing request for the tower and the hangars. You can see the decisions here:

https://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gate ... sourceID=7

The Unit Land proposals for Fairoaks look fantastic in my view, but the chances of that scheme going ahead look... slim.
By chevvron
Lots of wip on the airfield with new pre-fab buildings erected next to the 'tower and what looks like a green cabin like structure near taxiway B adjacent to the anemometer and a portakabin like erection south of 24 threshold.
As far as I'm aware, airport operations will still move to its new location outside the leased area but on the manoeuvring area on 20 Feb.
By chevvron
After the loss of the lease on part of the airfield (hangar, control tower, fire station) Fairoaks Operations Ltd is continuing operations as normal.
Airport Manager Alastair Wang says 'the control tower has been re-located to nearer the centre of the airfield thus providing an enhanced view of the airfield (iaw CAA requirements) and the surrounding area'.
'In addition to replacing the previous buildings, there is a new admin building including a lounge for visiting aircrew and the new fire station plus enhanced facilies for the fire crew. In terms of the overall operation, it is very much business as usual.'
Managing Director Chris Hobbs insisted last year that 'aviation activities will continue for the foreseeable future'.
It's understood that the engineering hangar is presently used as a film studio but as for the other hangars I have no information.
There are currently 3 NOTAMs in force; circuit flying PPR by telephone (VT 1 Apr), runway 24 APAPIs U/S (VT 3 Apr)and PCL U/S (VT 1 Apr). NB Validity times (VT) may change.
G-BLEW liked this
By Fright Level
> circuit flying PPR by telephone

Did some on Monday with an instructor for a reval. Apparently no need to call even though the notam in force and Fairoaks still kindly doing the "3 for 1" offer :D

(3 circuits, 1 landing fee)
By Overflight
Heard TEREF or some other associated entity has been enquiring about more tin sheds, but for film studio, not aviation use
By chevvron
The old engineering hangars (Alan Mann then GAMA) are I understand being used as a film studio.
What is happening to the 'storage' hangar opposite the control tower I don't know.
By chevvron
Control tower now situated next to taxiway 'B'; apron (hard and grass) parking near cafe appears to be still in use.
By chevvron
Chobham News and Mail Dateline 14 Jul 2022:
The owners of Fairoaks Airport have resuscitated their intention to build a huge housing estate on the land by appointing new developers ('Countryside') to pursue the plan including even more houses than were in the original 2017 Garden Village scheme.
The new strategy for a garden village has so far not influenced Surrey Heath Borough Council to include housing on the land in its local plan saying 'The site is located within green belt and does not reflect the view or preferences of our residents and does not form part of our preferred spacial strategy to accomodate developement to meet the needs of our local communities'
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
More housing in that area is just insane given the available infrastructure, but some sensible industrial development would be excellent