Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By BobD
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yesterday, I had the privilege of taking my Grandson flying, his first time in a light aircraft. Of my six Grandchildren, he is the one who has always taken an interest in my aircraft. He arrived only a couple of years before my first build, and since that time, no visit to Grandad's has been complete without a trip to the workshop to see progress on the build, or sit in the aircraft. My first build has been flying for three years now, and I told him when I felt he was old enough, and the conditions were right, I'd take him on that first flight. Both his parents have flown with me, and were supportive of him joining me.

Yesterday that day arrived, a lovely afternoon, and the wind straight down the runway. To avoid disappointment, we did not tell him he was to go flying, until an hour before the flight, when I was confident that the flight would take place.

I recall an Uncle of mine arranging a flight for me with his friend when I was a similar age to Charlie (8 years old), and event that left me with a lifelong interest in aviation. I hope that flight yesterday will have the same effect on Charlie.

Have you ever seen a wider grin on a young boys face ? :D

StratoTramp, timjenner, A le Ron and 18 others liked this
TopCat wrote:27nm from Lands End. For me it's doable at 9000'; Dover to CGN at 6000' for the same reason. Southampton to Guernsey DCT, absolutely not.

Personally, I just dont get that...... :doh:
I've flown IOW-Guernsey, IOW-Deauville etc all direct and without much in the way of stress....My own mitigations are lifejackets and a raft which I think are sensible given the route. I'd definitely contemplate a trip to Iceland (via Faroes) and have already planned a trip to Scotland inc Shetland.

You'd (and I include ALL licence holders) be as well not having a PPL if the worry factor is so high...

SD
RisePilot, Rob P liked this
Spamcan Defender wrote:
You'd (and I include ALL licence holders) be as well not having a PPL if the worry factor is so high...

SD

It depends on what you fly, old chap! Given your user name, for you that might be fair enough. But I get nervous over Grafham Water below 2000'
JAFO liked this
By LysanderV8
But I get nervous over Grafham Water below 2000'

Phew!! I thought it was just me! I definitely like to see land in front and behind and not too far away at that. The Solent is fine, Bristol Channel (the narrow bit) too. Morecambe Bay at a pinch.
By PeteSpencer
Cessna571 wrote:
G-JWTP wrote:The engine doesn't know its over water!

G-JWTP

Then why does it start making odd noises as soon as you coast out?

Our arrer when it sees the coastline ahead gives a little cough and :

" Ahem, OK chaps here we go...................." :wink:
lobstaboy liked this