Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I was disappointed when I read this "update". Seems not a lot has happened.
We are back to a consultation/survey on which pieces of airspace the community thinks need changing. That is exactly the same survey that was done in winter 19/20.
The update hints that some presentations with some data will be shared once they've had some meeting with the stakeholders. I hope the quality of data will be better than in the previous survey.
I took a look at the process they outlined and realised there is zero chance of any improvements to the current bog-up happening whilst I am still able to fly

Rob P
johnm, rf3flyer liked this
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nice to see progress. I suppose all these things take time.....
I worry that the Hinton/Turweston/Croughton triangle is just outside their defined zone and surely will affect traffic inside being so close to Oxford and Weston on the Green - but it looks as though that sort of impact is not going to be considered.

Also, the impending Little Rissington ATZ is not on their map although it became active recently. That causes a nice little funnel between LR and the Brize CTR - exactly the sort of issue they should be looking at, or will they say that NOTAM activation is sufficient and acceptable?

There are some quick wins:
Some responses asked why EG R154 Oldbury and EG R155 Berkeley still have associated restricted airspace when the power stations have been decommissioned for some time.
In which case these could be deleted without delay and thus free up a useful bit of airspace SFC - 2000ft over the Severn - it doesn't need a long drawn out process to do this, surely?
By johnm
It's not encouraging as a famous playwright observed. "Full of sound and fury and signifying nothing"
They are not going to be able to address the lack of joined up airspace management or ATS coherence until there's a political will to do it and that won't happen for a very long time if ever.

I put forward the suggestion I made when the Brize Oxford proposals were first tabled but I don't anticipate them taking it on board we'll get the usual dog's breakfast followed by whinging about infringements :roll:
kanga, TopCat, imperialsam liked this
Only 10 days left to fill the survey.

Also we need a bit of tactical commenting. Most of the airspace volumes proposed in the form are or potentially are in affected by upcoming ACP. And so will be filtered out at the next stage.
So Bristol and Cardiff controlled airspaces will be out, most of the CTA above Bristol and South Wales as well.
Slightly less clear for the CTA in the East of the zone.
Also no point commenting about the recently established airspace (Little Rissington, Raymill House)
By James Chan
I'd say to have the airspace joined up and accessible to all, not just IFR-only or drone-only, and keeping it all simple and readable should be the general principles.
By johnm
James Chan wrote:I'd say to have the airspace joined up and accessible to all, not just IFR-only or drone-only, and keeping it all simple and readable should be the general principles.

Me too and it's the only rational response, so we can be sure that the opposite will occur :(
By James Chan
CAA Review Draft Findings:

https://consultations.caa.co.uk/safety- ... -cotswold/

At first glance, the review does not sufficiently explain why so many volumes in this area should still remain as Class A.
James Chan wrote:At first glance, the review does not sufficiently explain why so many volumes in this area should still remain as Class A.

I agree with you and it will be one of my comments.
Another one will be about the AIP and parachute drop zones. Apparently, according to the report, it is clear that South Cerney DZ is "by NOTAM" and the problem is only that pilots are not educated enough.
Of course the "by NOTAM" is not in the AIP and even worse, the wording for South Cerney is very similar to very active DZ like Hinton or Langar.