Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By L21B
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
CloudHound wrote:I was troubled for years following a helicopter crash which took the life of the pilot and a Football Club owner over Cheshire.

There is a route from the top of the Low Level Corridor all the way to Birmingham at 1000' following the M6.

However, the controller warned the pilot of high ground ahead and he climbed into cloud, lost it and.....

Needless to say but it is ultimately the Commanders decision as to what he does with his aircraft when choosing to fly in such weather conditions (and bearing in mind his qualifications, ability and recency).

Perhaps if the controller speaking to Kobe Bryant’s pilot had advised of “high ground ahead” they would all be alive today.

Bit disingenuous (to say the least) suggesting that the controller was at fault for Matthew Harding’s helicopter accident.
By Flintstone
L21B wrote:Bit disingenuous (to say the least) suggesting that the controller was at fault for Matthew Harding’s helicopter accident.

I don't think CloudHound suggested that.

"the controller warned the pilot of high ground ahead". Quite the opposite in my opinion.

I could be wrong but I'm sure CloudHound will clarify.
By L21B
I’ve just had a quick look at the ATC transcript in Appendix B of the AAIB report (G-CFLT) for Matthew Harding’s accident - I cannot see any mention of ATC warning the pilot of high ground ahead - ATC do remind him that he is responsible for his own terrain clearance whilst operating Special VFR not above 2000’ (normal procedure to ensure pilot awareness of his responsibility).

The pilot mentions high ground, just to the south of Manchester, on at least two occasions.

Other than that ATC are very helpful and supportive of a pilot flying in relatively demanding flying conditions.

The pilot asks for a climb to 3000’ (which he gets), reports that he is now IMC and then requests a further climb above 3000’.

At that point he loses control of the helicopter and the rest is history, unfortunately.
As I recall it, and it is many years ago, the controller offered a direct routing which the pilot accepted. Neither of them realised that this would take the helicopter into bad weather which, unfortunately, ultimately led to the accident. No live weather information was available to either party and a loss of life ensued. A door coming open with ensuing distraction would have surely added to the problems. Another sad result where everybody is trying to do their best. I fear that I have said too much on the subject and will now withdraw but please keep safe everybody, I really do still care.
At that point he loses control of the helicopter and the rest is history, unfortunately.

Depressingly predictable, unfortunately.

When a pilot without a current instrument rating, flying a VFR equipped aircraft encounters conditions in which they require instrument skills and equipment, the results are almost always fatal.

A tragic and avoidable loss.

Which sadly may bring us back to the topic of this thread?