Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Boxkite wrote:
Pilot H wrote:-
-
https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=403cee&lat=50.907&lon=-3.089&zoom=13.5&showTrace=2021-08-12&trackLabels&timestamp=1628759845

What I don't understand is that the video on this news link appears to show an inverted aircraft with a roundel on the side. All the photos of the aircraft in the above link show a grey colour scheme.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14765 ... ews-police

The video in the link is the recent Navy Wings Sea Fury T.20 crash near Yeovilton, hence the grey paint and roundel. Bloody press at their nonsense again. :roll:
Boxkite liked this
[not an attempt at analysis] Being reported elsewhere as inadvertent IMC and was talking on 121.5 and then Exeter radar. Very sad if true. My TEM topic for this week with students and test candidates - inadvertent IMC and actions to take.
johnm wrote:I can't comprehend the thought process that would take anyone to the Daily Express either on paper or online :roll:

Well I followed a thought process that ended at the Express, so those rolling eyes are aimed at me then?
If you can't comprehend it then would you like me to enlighten you?
JAFO liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
One of the best things ever to come out of the CAA thanks to AOPA lobbying was IMCR I did mine as soon as I had my PPL and I've tried to keep instrument skills up to scratch ever since. To be fair an accessible IR would be better and EASA has made some (slow) progress with that and it's been adopted here.

In the UK climate IMHO instrument skills are not an optional extra :pale:
PeteSpencer, A le Ron, Bushe Pilot and 5 others liked this
MattL wrote: My TEM topic for this week with students and test candidates - inadvertent IMC and actions to take.

My 'M'anagement consists of flying my own aircraft under foggles or hood at every 'instructor hour'.

It doesn't qualify me to fly IMC, but it may, one day, save my life.

Rob P
MikeB, Flyin'Dutch', MattL and 3 others liked this
By Lefty
I have to say I’m a little puzzled as to why Exeter was trying to vector him to Exeter - via some very high and inhospitable terrain - when they could (perhaps) have handed him to Yeovilleton which was (1) a lot closer and (2) at a much lower altitude. He might even haven able to get VMC below cloud over the Somerset levels - or even out over the sea?

Stuck in cloud with a low cloud base ? Flying IMC through an area of very high ground definitely wouldn’t be my preferred route to safety.

We’ll probably never know what was in the poor guy’s mind when he made his decisions.
Yeovilton was closed at the time this accident occurred, it didn't open until 1400 local that day and this accident occurred between 1010-1025 local. From accounts on other forums who heard the R/T exchanges between the Pilot and Exeter ATC it sounds like he was above 7000ft on top of the overcast and they attempted to give him vectors to Exeter and descend to 2600ft which is the minimum altitude on the radar vector chart for Exeter in this area due to the Stockland Hill TV mast nearby.
quickieq2uk wrote:Yeovilton was closed at the time this accident occurred, it didn't open until 1400 local that day

NOTAM of no LARS service from Yeovilton the following day too as I passed that way. (Friday 13th)

Rob P
All too easy for us to now pontificate on what should or shouldn't have been done to help the poor guy but do we know for a fact if he was 'above cloud' or 'in cloud'?
If above cloud I would have thought it preferable to just vector him over the sea before trying to get him to set up a shallow descent through the cloud layer and take it from there once below.

If however he was 'in solid cloud' ATC asking someone without an IMC rating to turn and descend is not a great idea.
Last edited by Shoestring Flyer on Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lefty
quickieq2uk wrote:Yeovilton was closed at the time this accident occurred, it didn't open until 1400 local that day and this accident occurred between 1010-1025 local. From accounts on other forums who heard the R/T exchanges between the Pilot and Exeter ATC it sounds like he was above 7000ft on top of the overcast and they attempted to give him vectors to Exeter and descend to 2600ft which is the minimum altitude on the radar vector chart for Exeter in this area due to the Stockland Hill TV mast nearby.

Military bases are never fully “closed”. There are always people on standby who could be called in to handle an emergency.
From that ADSB Exchange track it would appear that the aircraft was almost on top of Yeovilton when he contacted Exeter.
Yeovilton is 75ft amsl. It still seems this would have been a less risky alternative.
Or make a gentle cloud break over the sea to land at Middlezoy or Westonzoyland. ?