Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By shortwing
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Can I fly an N reg aircraft, on an EASA licence in the Uk?

Many years ago I recall something about a 2 out of 3 rules but my mind may be playing tricks!
By Irv Lee
If you had a uk licence you could fly suitable N reg in the UK, if you had an FAA licence too but it would depend where the aircraft were based whether you needed an FCL validation. But just simply a non-Faa, non UK licence wouldn't work in UK in N reg.
As a general rule, 2 out of 3 worldwide was bllx. It happened to work purely in the UK only because we had auto validation pre Easa, but someone then extrapolated too far into countries that do not auto validate foreign licences and this 2 out of 3 spread like a virus but was simply not true
By nickwilcock
See FAR 61.3:

§ 61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.

(a) Required pilot certificate for operating a civil aircraft of the United States. No person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of the United States, unless that person:

(1) Has in the person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization -

[...] (vii) When operating an aircraft within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used.

Which means that you may fly a US-registered aircraft in UK airspace using a UK-issued pilot licence.
By Cookie
See FAR 61.3...Which means that you may fly a US-registered aircraft in UK airspace using a UK-issued pilot licence.

14 CFR 61.3 must be reviewed in combination with ANO Article 148 when operating an N-reg in the UK.

Can I fly an N reg aircraft, on an EASA licence in the Uk? ... this is a non UK issued licence.

No. See FAA legal interpretation here.

Cookie
shortwing liked this