Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By shortwing
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not going into what product I was using or whats better etc etc

Today I was flying near Heathrow, whilst VMC traffic was being detected fine. However on the return I was mostly IMC and had no traffic showing on my tablet. Few moments after regaining VMC traffic started appearing which made me wonder.

Stupid question: Does being IMC affect receipt of traffic?
By shortwing
I can't see how unless it could affect it but radar had told me about the traffic, nothing, pop out VMC and boom that very traffic appears. Not changed heading or height. Not even the heathrow departures were showing up.

Do weather conditions have any impact may be the better question? It wasn't convective
By Ian Melville
Possibly if you have external antenna and the get wet. Signal may also be weaker as it has passed through a body of water, but ADSB should have enough oomph (making an assumption there). After all ADSB is used by ATC to track aircraft in IMC? In the frequency range we are talking about the human body can bock or attenuate a signal, so why not a big cloud?

Interesting question. :thumleft:
By shortwing
Hi Paul, for over 40 minutes whilst IMC there were no contacts, not even airliners and the filter was set to 10,000ft in skydemon.

Immediately VMC and contacts appeared. Didn't make much sense to me
By GrahamB
External antenna with a dicky connection shorting out when wet?