Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flyingfemme
Full Metal Jackass wrote:Were movements at Bristol below 138 or why aren't they listed? Perhaps they don't want to announce how low their movements are for fear of having to justify their persistent 'Remain OCAS due to controller workload" attitude?

Flew across Cardiff and Bristol last week, around 9 in the morning, and it was dead quiet - Bristol had nothing moving at all, no aircraft on the terminal ramp.
By Sooty25
Norwich averaging 90 movements a day, I reckon they must be including Felthorpe in their numbers.

For those not familiar with Felthorpe, it sits within Norwich's Class D and all arrivals/departures are controlled by Norwich.

It would be rather galling if the very restrictions on Felthorpe are what is helping to maintain the airspace that causes the restrictions in the first place!

At this moment, there appears to be one P28A doing circuits!
By Full Metal Jackass
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyingfemme wrote:
Full Metal Jackass wrote:Were movements at Bristol below 138 or why aren't they listed? Perhaps they don't want to announce how low their movements are for fear of having to justify their persistent 'Remain OCAS due to controller workload" attitude?

Flew across Cardiff and Bristol last week, around 9 in the morning, and it was dead quiet - Bristol had nothing moving at all, no aircraft on the terminal ramp.

If you flew across Bristol & Cardiff, you were probably flying east - west or vice versa. Plenty have said they've had no issues flying those directions, it's just flying north / south or vice-versa which seems to be the issue with Bristol......
By Shoestring Flyer
Flyingfemme wrote:

Curious to hear if you filed a flight plan that they now say is needed .Or did you perhaps just bluff it out, with a verbal transit, crossing Cardiff ?
By rikur_
Full Metal Jackass wrote:
Were movements at Bristol below 138 or why aren't they listed? Perhaps they don't want to announce how low their movements are for fear of having to justify their persistent 'Remain OCAS due to controller workload" attitude?

Apologies, I missed the disclaimed from the data
As of 29 July, the following airports are not yet available for reporting and therefore excluded: Bristol, Cardiff Wales, Doncaster Sheffield, Exeter, Luton and Oxford. The next scheduled refresh of airport publications will be week commencing 9 August 2021.
By Full Metal Jackass
rikur_ wrote:
Full Metal Jackass wrote:
Were movements at Bristol below 138 or why aren't they listed? Perhaps they don't want to announce how low their movements are for fear of having to justify their persistent 'Remain OCAS due to controller workload" attitude?

Apologies, I missed the disclaimed from the data
As of 29 July, the following airports are not yet available for reporting and therefore excluded: Bristol, Cardiff Wales, Doncaster Sheffield, Exeter, Luton and Oxford. The next scheduled refresh of airport publications will be week commencing 9 August 2021.

Strangely enough Exeter's movements were included.....
By callump
rikur_ wrote:
callump wrote:Gatwick was 55 an hour or 950 a day throughout the summer pre-COVID.
It’s been quite shocking to see traffic levels so low and still no sign of getting back to those levels.

Meanwhile Teesside has had busiest month in a decade if I understand correctly?

Yes I believe so, July’s movement figures will be even higher.
rikur_ liked this
By Skylaunch2
ls8pilot wrote:If anyone from Lasham is onboard I'd be interested to see their movement stats for the same period :D

23rd June 2021 saw 503 movements alone for Lasham and the tugs aren't counted as "movements".

Needless to say, many unlicenced airfields would kick Gatwick even further down the list.
ls8pilot, kanga liked this
By callump
I believe a lot of those airports with very high movement stats are counting each touch and go as 2 movements. I’m not 100% sure whether all airports do this?
By shortwing
So many people were praising Southend for offering their five circuits for £5.....

It was purely to give them movements to justify their airspace and cover their staff currency and training
By PeteSpencer
shortwing wrote:So many people were praising Southend for offering their five circuits for £5.....

It was purely to give them movements to justify their airspace and cover their staff currency and training

More power to their elbow:

It was open to the Norwiches, Cambridges Cranfields of this world to do exactly the same to the mutual benefit of aviators, and ATC trainees alike:

But they couldn't be ar sed to set it up.

Peter
kanga liked this
By pullup
shortwing wrote:
It was purely to give them movements to justify their airspace

Airspace is not granted based on the number of movements.
By callump
It’s a shame airports are reporting statistics differently though. Especially if some are counting touch and goes as two movements whereas Teesside does not count touch and goes as movements and only counts the initial take off and final landing so that gives you an idea of how skewed things are.
chevvron liked this