Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm not sending 7 log books covering 45 years flying by post so will either go down to LGW or have to speak to some one more senior!

I told them I would not send them my nine logbooks but instead I would select pages from each logbook and then the page with my CRI training as well as a couple before.

I selected the page with my PPL flight test certification (1974).
I selected pages with the 13 month stamps.
I selected samples of my instructing in Canada and in China.
Still a lot of signed true copies of selected pages, but not the whole logbooks. They did show a progression of time and experience well in excess of what is required for a CRI.

They asked me which entries denoted the CRI pages... I had made this clear, so I made it clear again.

They lost a signed copy of one of the two licences you have now as a PPL and asked for it again.
I made my anger known. Why didn’t the CAA who issued me a licence have any record of that licence! You want me to go to the effort to copy it again, get a signature again, because you lost it and do not have your own record!

I’d report the CAA to ICAO and they can be red listed.
Like CAA assisted CAAT to remove being flagged by ICAO, FAA, EASA, maybe Thai CAAT should come and teach CAA how to do their job efficiently and in line with modern technology.

If they can lose paperwork like this can we ever trust them with our valuable personal logbooks? NFW!

I am so very angry with what has happened in UK aviation.
If all this stuff contributed to safety I would accept it.
I hate inefficiency, and incompetence in those who profess otherwise.
scd975 liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
MichaelP wrote:I flew in England 1973 to 1991, and briefly between times.
What I have come back to is astonishing and a huge shock to my system.

Don't say I didn't try to warn you!

I think the CAA banned rose tinted glasses...
By Flyingfemme
The whole sorry saga only tells us that the CAA do not trust the people they are issuing licences to, and their examining staff as well. Makes you wonder how they ever bring themselves to issue a licence at all.
By Lefty
Flyingfemme wrote:The whole sorry saga only tells us that the CAA do not trust the people they are issuing licences to, and their examining staff as well. Makes you wonder how they ever bring themselves to issue a licence at all.

If you have no knowledge or understanding of the subject matter - you write loads of rules in an effort to ensure you can never be held accountable.
If you know your subject, you can then assess whether others have enough knowledge to have tasks and authority delegated to them.

This all sound like the CAA might have one person who knows what he/she is doing, but since that person can’t do everything, there is an entire army of admins trying to block / control the work going to that one knowledgeable person.

They’ve got mega buck computer systems that hold our names and addresses, plus details of all of our licences and ratings. I can’t for the life of me think why they can’t simply interrogate these computers to find the info they need? If I were a distrusting sole, I might be tempted to think that they keep asking for the same info to see if you trip up and submit something different than you previously did? Then they pounce on you. But of course we all know that with the plethora of confusing licence and medical rules and privileges, that any any moment in time perhaps more than 50% of PPL’s are operating outside some little know rule.
It’s a complete dogs breakfast (after regurgitation) !!
Flyingfemme liked this