Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Shoestring Flyer
Yes the runway was resurfaced only 2-3years ago. Haven't been in since 2019 but was as smooth as a baby's bum when I last went in.
All very sad if the place is now all going to rats!
Last edited by Shoestring Flyer on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Absolutely insane for Carlisle to close, given the almost complete lack of others in the area. Barrow is miles from anywhere else, and.... well, what's Kirkbride like? Is it open? Facilities?

Edit... the web site suggests it is, and has fuel on prior request.

Anyone know it?
By Iceman
Kirkbride is well known and used by many pilots, including many forumites here. It was, until recently, the last ‘cheap’ fuel before reaching Scotland, but one or two Scottish airports have now reduced fuel rates somewhat, e.g., Oban.

Carlisle still has a notified ATZ, so let’s not right it off just yet.

Iceman 8)
By Dave W
Iceman wrote:Carlisle still has a notified ATZ...

So has Colerne, despite the airfield being notified as disused (and shown on charts likewise) for a long time now, so am not sure that's any real indicator of anything but administrative inertia. :(
Iceman, flybymike liked this
By Dave W
Is it? It is still shown on SkyDemon as active.

So (apparently, but it's unclear and can be interpreted either way I'd say) does the AIP.

From the column including "Hours of Service":
UK AIP ENR2.2 wrote:COLERNE APPROACH
Activity period to be published by NOTAM.

Wed-Sun 0900-1700 (0800-1600). Mon-Fri 0800-1600 during Easter and summer school holidays.

And, in "Remarks":
UK AIP ENR2.2 wrote:Note: Flying and other aerial activities may take place outside published hours.

There used to be a NOTAM following closure of the airfield that deactivated the ATZ, but that expired some time ago.
By CloudHound
The discrepancy between persistent ATZs depicted on charts and the activation/deactivation either ad hoc by NOTAM or linkage to watch hours is something that’s exercising me at the moment.
Last edited by CloudHound on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flybymike liked this
By SteveX
Why are people bothered about an ATZ when the bloody place is closed?

Re Colerne, isn't that notam saying that it is activated only by notam during those times listed? So if it's Wednesday midday and no notam saying it is open then the ATZ is withdrawn. But again, who cares, you either have permission to land there or you don't. Does a 2nm bit of airspace really cause people so much anxiety.
By LD1Racing
EGNC was still open - I have been in and out regularly in the last few months. No fuel, ATC or fire at the moment though, but still plenty of activity. Kirkbride has fuel available and is only 10 mins away.

Carlisle Flight Training still operating from there too (unless something changed in the last few days).
By Dominie
djtaylor wrote:The runways at Colerne have large crosses on at each end so I assume that it is disused.

Is it used for parachuting?
By JAFO
Dominie wrote:
djtaylor wrote:The runways at Colerne have large crosses on at each end so I assume that it is disused.

Is it used for parachuting?

No, they use parachutes. :wink:
kanga, flybymike liked this
By OhNoCB
LD1Racing wrote:EGNC was still open - I have been in and out regularly in the last few months. No fuel, ATC or fire at the moment though, but still plenty of activity. Kirkbride has fuel available and is only 10 mins away.

Who (and how!) does one contact for PPR in this case? I have tried a couple of different numbers at various times over the last few months with no success.
pete2052 liked this