Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By pete2052
Anyone know what is going on...if anything...now notamed closed until end of Oct...but “out of hours” ops available??
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
At one stage the businesses and based aircraft could get aircraft flown in and out as required, but there was no public access. I haven't heard anything recently.
By johnm
If that isn't to support maintenance then it's disappointing :-(
By Bathman
I can never understand why this sort of thing happens in the UK.

One person, unlicensed, self announce.

Ok so no airline operations under those circumstances but for GA and the local flying schools it wouldn't be a problem.

I hope it's not anything to do with you can't be partially pregnant.
By proteus
I think Carlisle airport hasn't been open since march last year. They have at least brought back in out of hours permits for based operators which I understand had been removed last year. I've heard rumblings that it's rather a mess and one or two hangar doors have fallen off.

I think they've suffered from terrible management for some time.
By johnm
Sounds like a metaphor for the UK at present :(
By proteus
I think the airport was part of the deal selling stobart air to the Isle of man twenty something who it turns out didn't have the funding.

I don't think there is any fuel at all either.

Unless you absolutely wanted to go to Carlisle, Kirkbride is a far better choice, much more friendly, cheaper fuel and actually open.
By Dave W
proteus wrote:... the Isle of man twenty something who it turns out didn't have the funding.

Never has my flabber been more ghasted. ;)

I am almost as surprised as the day I learned the Oxford-Cambridge airline started up by a teenager wasn't going to happen. :D

I do feel for The Westmoreland Flyer and all the others affected, though. :(
By proteus
Seeing as it is closed and no one is on the radio presumably there is no ATZ, so there's not much to stop you flying over (I'd make calls as out of hours traffic will be making blind calls_

It's sad that a good little GA airfield looks to be on its way out, and I feel sorry for based pilots who've been paying for little to no services.
pete2052 liked this
By James Chan
It's been closed since Apr 2020. Did you try contacting the owners Esken?

This goes back to the decades-old argument on the lack of laws obligating certain airports to remain open and accessible within reason.

There is a danger that some may use COVID as a cover for "not bothered to operate" and have an impact on transport by air (no matter how small) into and out of this area.

One should not need to show up in a 737 to bring a place back to life.
By Iceman
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Unsure if he is flying anymore. I believe he has sold his SportCruiser.

That would appear to be the case, according to G-INFO.

Didn’t they resurface the runway there in recent times ?

Iceman 8)