Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By pete2052
OhNoCB wrote:
LD1Racing wrote:EGNC was still open - I have been in and out regularly in the last few months. No fuel, ATC or fire at the moment though, but still plenty of activity. Kirkbride has fuel available and is only 10 mins away.

Who (and how!) does one contact for PPR in this case? I have tried a couple of different numbers at various times over the last few months with no success.

Details please!
By proteus
LD1Racing wrote:EGNC was still open - I have been in and out regularly in the last few months. No fuel, ATC or fire at the moment though, but still plenty of activity. Kirkbride has fuel available and is only 10 mins away.

Carlisle Flight Training still operating from there too (unless something changed in the last few days).

That's really interesting, I know a pilot or two who are based there and they've said that it's been closed all the time as per notam. With only out of hours permits being reinstated last year (following them being pulled at the start of covid). The out of hours would explain the flight training and based operators.

I have heard rumblings of complaints that they're being charged full hangarage and expected to notify and pay full landing fees, when other non based pilots are coming and going as they please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I find it hard to comprehend why people make life difficult for others. I can just about understand the fear of being sued in our nasty blame culture, but that can usually be guarded against by imposing indemnity requirements.

I do wonder if some managers and business owners are just unpleasant or if they somehow decide to switch off their brains when at work.

It’s not hard to make an airfield available at reasonable cost and thus generate revenue and it’s not hard to develop associated business parks for further income.
By Flyingfemme
johnm wrote:It’s not hard to make an airfield available at reasonable cost and thus generate revenue and it’s not hard to develop associated business parks for further income.

Actually, these days it's very hard to make an airfield available - noise complaints, planning impossibilities, the value of land for housing all conspire to make airfields almost impossible to create any more. When was the last totally new airfield you can think of created?
All the more reason why we need to strive mightily to keep those that we already have.
B1engineer, johnm, Shoestring Flyer and 4 others liked this
By Rob P
@Flyingfemme
Hinderclay Meadows?

Rob P
JAFO liked this
By chevvron
How the mighty have fallen; back in 1969 when I was appointed as a lowly Grade 1 Air Traffic Control Assistant at London ATCC, CSE Aviation of Oxford operated one of their training centres (like a 'Hamble' of the south) from Carlisle and there were scheduled flights to/from Heathrow.
By Flyingfemme
Rob P wrote:@Flyingfemme
Hinderclay Meadows?

Rob P

Never heard of it.....but them I'm not a gliding type. I don't remember it being there (on Skydemon) at the end of 2019 when we needed to visit the area. Don't recall it being mentioned on this forum either.
By LD1Racing
proteus wrote:
That's really interesting, I know a pilot or two who are based there and they've said that it's been closed all the time as per notam. With only out of hours permits being reinstated last year (following them being pulled at the start of covid). The out of hours would explain the flight training and based operators.

I have heard rumblings of complaints that they're being charged full hangarage and expected to notify and pay full landing fees, when other non based pilots are coming and going as they please.

What does 'out of hours' mean in context of a closed A/D? Is that non of the time, or is it all of the time?

The NOTAM is vague at best.
By proteus
LD1Racing wrote:
What does 'out of hours' mean in context of a closed A/D? Is that non of the time, or is it all of the time?

The NOTAM is vague at best.

I believe their interpretation is all of the time outside of operational hours. So once closed you rely on the out of hours notification you've signed. Following lockdown 1 this out of hours permission was removed so based pilots could not fly and no one could fly in.

Part of the signed permit also requires that you notify them, prior to your flight, then following the flight you must pass on your details of flight. The landing fees will then added to your monthly bill.

It certainly used to be the case that they would often at short notice pull out of hours permission for certain times (mostly grass / hay cutting).
By G-JWTP
Flyingfemme wrote:
johnm wrote:It’s not hard to make an airfield available at reasonable cost and thus generate revenue and it’s not hard to develop associated business parks for further income.

Actually, these days it's very hard to make an airfield available - noise complaints, planning impossibilities, the value of land for housing all conspire to make airfields almost impossible to create any more. When was the last totally new airfield you can think of created?
All the more reason why we need to strive mightily to keep those that we already have.

Probably London City and Sheffield.
That ended up in a 50% failure rate.

G-JWTP
By JAFO
Flyingfemme wrote:
Rob P wrote:@Flyingfemme
Hinderclay Meadows?

Never heard of it.....but them I'm not a gliding type. I don't remember it being there (on Skydemon) at the end of 2019 when we needed to visit the area. Don't recall it being mentioned on this forum either.

I am sure that you will be more than welcome at the fly-in on 2nd October. Hope to meet you there :thumleft:
By pullup
Airports/Aerodromes which close never re-open ....no matter what is said about re-opening.
Just look at Panshangar, Manston, Plymouth etc, to name just a few.
Just doesn’t happen. Carlisle will be no different I’m afraid.
By Paul_Sengupta
But Carlisle have never closed, they just stopped operating for a while, which is different. I believe based aircraft have operated throughout.