Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Who?

Possibly the model for Maverick. famous F-14 pilot with a decent combat record. Certainly best known for the photograph below.

His last recorded (ATC) words

Pilot: "Tower, twenty eight uniform's up"

Tower: "Marchetti two eight uniform, roger, runway one two at delta cleared for takeoff"

Pilot: ".. takeoff" (pilot's voice, acknowledging)

About 30 seconds later,

Pilot: "Ahhh! Sh*t! Sh*t!"

:(

Rob P
By BoeingBoy
Very sad news, but hopefully he died doing what he loved.

I was privileged to see him over a number of years displaying every March at Titusville in Florida. His low passes were legendary and indeed one year I watched him run a P51 wingtip through the Museum apron so low the parking crew were flinging themselves to the ground.

The loss of a legendary aviator for sure.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Never heard of one so had a look:

Basically a turbine Cessna Bird Dog

No judgement on Captain Snodgrass, but I did read somewhere (source long forgotten) that a final broadcast of "Oh sh*t!" was viewed by the USAF invariably as an indicator of a pilot recognising pilot error.

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Never heard of one so had a look:

Basically a turbine Cessna Bird Dog

No judgement on Captain Snodgrass, but I did read somewhere (source long forgotten) that a final broadcast of "Oh sh*t!" was viewed by the USAF invariably as an indicator of a pilot recognising pilot error.

Rob P

Even aces make mistakes - I know, I do..
patowalker, Danny, Awful Charlie and 1 others liked this
even on the take off roll it’s as if the elevator is held or stuck fully back

If that were the case, and he was unable to lift the tailwheel, wouldn’t he have just closed the throttle? It’s part of every pre take off brief in the airlines. Reasons to reject - flight control restriction, or the aircraft won’t fly safely.

That’s assuming he ever tried to lift the tail? He’s taken off from the midpoint of rwy 12 leaving half of the 1500m rwy behind him? Maybe he intended a STOL departure??

Obviously he would have done a flight control check before departure, as we all do??
Isn't that when accidents happen, when we don't do things we always (should) do?

You’re damn right, and precisely my point.

I can’t think of any other sphere of human activity that is so unforgiving of the ‘hard wired’ human condition to err, than when we leave the ground.

Here’s a great video for anyone in GA hoping to die in their bed rather than ‘elsewhere’. I warn you now, it’s 45 minutes long so some might not think it’s worth their time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FOBTWf2r2CU
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
@BoeingBoy Whilst I don't disagree with what you say from the video of the crash I suspect that 'Snort' died on impact and that the only thing that might have been saved by a quicker, more 'appropriate' fire fighting response would be evidence as to the cause.
No bad thing in itself but probably unchanging of the outcome.
T6Harvard liked this