Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Peter Kelly
For many years 100LL has only been permitted in the USA by means of an exemption from the EPA on the basis that there was no alternative fuel for high compression engines. Now there is a fully FAA approved, STCd alternative I’d give it a year, two at most, before the EPA draws a line under 100LL.

The US pilots will scream the house down about the increased cost of fuel but with a Democratic President in the White House it will get them nowhere.

Same deal in Europe (and by extension in the UK). For many years the various environmental agencies have been (quite rightly) trying to put a stop to the production of TEL and now there is no reason why it needs to continue. GAMI will licence production of G100 to one or more producers (it can be refined and blended in any refinery that can handle 100LL), the distribution network will switch over and the whole thing will be a done deal.

Again there will be howls of protest about the increased cost but it will come to nothing. It’s going to be increasingly difficult to justify the use of any hydrocarbon fuel in the new carbon-neutral world. Absolutely no chance of explaining to politicians or the public why we need to keep belching out lead as well….

The GAMI shareholders will reap huge rewards for their persistence.

P
Bald Sparrow liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GAMI have been trying for more than 10 years to get this through. Congrats to them!
By TLRippon
I can’t see anything in the release which clearly states this fuel produces the same horsepower as 100LL at the point of use in an aircraft. I can see that they have a fuel with a higher SPG than 100LL so more energy/gallon but also more weight.
I also can’t see any sign of something to replace the other mechanical benefits of TEL.
I wonder if this is a fuel designed to get operators who won’t switch to unleaded with low octane values to make the switch. I wonder if this is not designed for those who can’t use unleaded in its current form. Correct me if I’m wrong.
By BoeingBoy
Special news letter on the subject of AVGAS replacement from IAOPA. July 30th.

________________________________________________________________________________________

TEL and the uncertain future of Avgas 100LL

You likely haven't heard of the abbreviations ECHA, REACH, PAFI and TEL yet. If you don't depend on Avgas 100LL for fuel, those aren't important to you either. But after all, an estimated 16,000 aircraft in Europe still need Avgas 100LL. If you fly one of those aircraft then you should read this article more closely.

First of all, the basics: Like EASA, ECHA is an agency of the European Commission, it is based in Helsinki and, as the “European Union Chemicals Agency”, is responsible for chemicals and environmental protection. REACH is one of the central programs of ECHA, the abbreviation stands for "Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals". As part of REACH, environmentalists in autumn 2019 took a first look at the substance tetraethyl lead (TEL), the lead-containing additive in aviation fuel Avgas 100LL. A risk analysis has classified the endangerment of citizens and the environment from TEL as significant. The only remaining TEL manufacturer on the world market is based in Great Britain. In the past, TEL was used in all automotive fuels, but it was successfully replaced there over 40 years ago. In aviation, however, this has not yet been achieved. Anyone who thinks that this project is once again a purely European administrative phenomenon should check up on to the PAFI project in the USA. With the help of the "Piston Aviation Fuels Initiative", the aviation authority FAA and the industry in the USA have been trying for years to develop a new unleaded successor fuel in order to be able to take the Avgas 100LL, which is attacked by various environmental groups, from the market. However, despite years of research and development, the PAFI project does not yet deliver the desired results; the task of finding a successor that can be replaced 1:1 without further effort is evidently not trivial.

Or is there already the redeeming breakthrough? The US manufacturer GAMI has apparently achieved success in the search for a lead-free high-octane Avgas. At the recent EAA Convention in Oshkosh, a supplemental type certificate for a unleaded 100 octane fuel was presented, which so far only relates to the Cessna 172, but is to be expanded. See also the article by our colleagues at AOPA USA: GAMI receives unleaded avgas STC - AOPA

But it is still unclear whether the aromatics used as additives can be approved in Europe. The answer to this question will decide whether the new product will represent the hoped-for breakthrough. We are currently doing research and will get back to you with an update as soon as possible. In June 2021, the EU Commission issued a recommendation to require authorization for the import and use of TEL. What is the end result? Unfortunately, nobody knows that today, as it is a political as well as a technical process with several procedural stages.

The range of possibilities can, however, be described:

In the best case, this has no consequences for the end customer: The authorization for TEL takes place, the substance can be imported and processed further, in the meantime, either at PAFI in the USA or in Europe, a long overdue lead-free fuel alternative is being developed and launched on the market.
In the worst case, TEL will not be authorized because either the industry has not applied for it or the authorities have not granted it. A lead-free successor fuel that solves the overall problem is also not being developed in time. In this case, after a transitional period, from the so-called “Sunset Date” in autumn 2024, TEL will no longer be introduced into the EU as a pure substance, only as a 1 per million dilution in the Avgas. This in turn would mean that the European Avgas 100LL would have to be produced in the next available refinery outside the EU - which would currently be in the USA - and then transported to Europe. According to initial estimates, this could increase the price of Avgas 100LL by up to one Euro per liter and thus in practice take it out of the market.

What is the European IAOPA doing now? Together with the associations GAMA (GA manufacturers), EAS (Europe Air Sports), EBAA (European Business Aviation), EHA (European Helicopter), ERAC (European Regional Airports), ECOGAS (GA support companies) and IAAPS (flight schools for aviation personnel) we issued a statement with the aim of postponing the authorization until an unleaded fuel alternative is on the market. The further use of TEL cannot be negotiated on a permanent basis. To be honest: This substance TEL has to be removed as quickly as possible, it not only harms us biologically but also politically. Unfortunately, engine and fuel manufacturers have left decades more or less inactive here. We also want a European research project, there is already a manufacturer who has applied for a patent but does not yet have an aviation certification. We are actively supported in this proposal for a European development program from EASA.

What should you do? You should check whether your engine may already be operated with unleaded Avgas UL 91/96. Before purchasing a new aircraft, you should consider whether you are taking the unknown risk of failure of the Avgas 100LL supply or using an aircraft that does not require any Avgas 100LL. Then you are on the safe side.

The next few weeks and months will bring us closer to a decision. We will continue to make our voice heard together with the other associations and keep you informed.
By riverrock
This has been discussed for years. There is a mechanism within REACH to allow a harmful chemical if there aren't alternatives, alongside a funding program for alternatives. It also isn't a quick process. We are also no longer subject to REACH in the UK [ref] so, we could refine AVGAS in the UK and sell it to Europe.

So if G100UL does become a true alternative in Europe, this could be the mechanism to help fund any research and then remove TEL, but there shouldn't be any scaremongering on it, especially in the UK.
By Bald Sparrow
I wonder if the tiny amount of TEL floating around as a result of it being used in aircraft does anything near the damage as the Benzene vapour from millions of cars using unleaded Mogas.
G-JWTP liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
TEL is usually only an issue where it comes into close contact with people.

There aren't many aeroplanes in traffic jams in the middle of towns and cities.

It's more political I think. However, I've heard of us as a collective saying, "The environmentalists will stop it", but I've not really heard that much from any sort of environmental campaign....I think they have bigger fish to fry.
By akg1486
G-JWTP wrote:The Scandinavian countries have had different flavours of unleaded for yonks.

Hjelmco I think.

G-JWTP

That's right: Hjelmco AVGAS 91/96UL now seems more prevalent than 100LL. Most (not all!) spam can engines can use it.

The reason for the two octane values is that one is for rich mixture and the other for lean. Don't know which is which.

The mechanics are positive: the engine and spark plugs are much cleaner. Our club's Pipistrel Virus (Rotax-powered) only needs 100h service if using 91/96UL. With more than a certain percentage 100LL, we need a 50h service, too.
By cotterpot
There is now no country in the world that uses leaded petrol for cars and lorries, the UN Environment Programme has announced.

So we are OK :thumright:
By JodelDavo
I’d use UL91 every time but as it’s always more expensive that 100LL, I’ll stick with that. I can’t be the only one.

If the green lobby really want us to use unleaded fuels and electric power, they’d make it financially viable.
By cotterpot
The Cheshire-based firm Innospec Ltd is believed to be the last place on the planet that still makes tetraethyl lead, or TEL,