Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Crash one wrote:I’ve only ever had one or two incidents of ice, backtracking on wet grass, in fifteen years.
What am I doing right?

Were you on fire?

:lol: :lol:

G-JWTP
By Kemble Pitts
Crash one wrote:I’ve only ever had one or two incidents of ice, backtracking on wet grass, in fifteen years.
What am I doing right?

My experience of the O-200 in the Jodel is very similar.
By Charliesixtysix
Kemble Pitts wrote:
What am I doing right?

My experience of the O-200 in the Jodel is very similar.

Same here.

Nothing more than normal use of hot air worked fine in around 600hrs over the two Jodels I have owned.
By Dave W
Conflicting anecdotes: I had 2 occasions where an O-200 stopped on me on rollout, attributed to carb ice; both in the same Jodel (not my current one).

Interestingly both were on hard runways, both had carb heat on during the approach and returned to cold on short final, as I was taught. One was in the summer (at Calais) and one on a crisp winter's day at home base.

On both occasions the engine fired right up again immediately.

I decided after the second one that carb ice at any time was definitely something to be wary of*, and from then on would leave carb heat HOT until the flare.

*Turns out instructors know stuff. Who'd have thought?
By OldProp52
Our group operates a Luscombe with a C90 ( with a 7151 prop)
Easy enough getting parts so far ( we have replaced cyclinders with Superiors over the past few years)
Yes prone to icing a bit ( I have a alert message set up on my Skydemon to put on carb heat every 10 mins) but assume this is a carb related point and not necessary C90.. ?
By Rob L
Crash one wrote:....What am I doing right?

Using carb heat?
I use it all the time on the ground for these small Continentals (and before anyone mentions air filters and dust/dirt/grass/insects, I don't have an air filter at all!
By Rob L
Dave W wrote:..... returned to cold on short final, as I was taught....
*Turns out instructors know stuff. Who'd have thought?

Were you taught the Lycoming method (which is not applicable to small Continentals)? Use carb heat until parked.
By Rob L
Dave W wrote:Evidently not. My conversion onto that aircraft was, I learned in due course, done by an instructor who had very definite opinions which may or may not have been supported by actual documentation.

"Actual documentation" regarding the operation of small (sub-O-300) Continentals and small (sub-100 hp Lycomings) is lacking, due to different rules at the time these engines were originally certified.
My aircraft "flight manual" is one-half of an A4 page.

Flight experience of many tens of thousands of pilots in those intervening 85 years (or so) makes up the difference!

All those Cubs, Aeroncas, Porterfields, Taylorcraft (and many other similarly-powered aircraft) have flown with tips & hints supplied by word of mouth, and more recently the Internet.

Your expression "in due course" explains a lot!

Rob
By Joe Dell
Sweet little engine the C90. More grunt where you need it than the O200. On final, leave carb heat on all the way to the ground. Flew behind one for eight of the last nine years. (14F). No issues.
I miss it. :(
Rob L, rohmer liked this
By MichaelP
Some Jodel 105/1050s fitted with O-200 engines did not have carb heat at all.
They had a round air filter inside the cowling and no mouth to feed air from the front.

Engine stopping could suggest a restriction or blockage in the idle jet.
By Dave W
MichaelP wrote:Engine stopping could suggest a restriction or blockage in the idle jet.

This particular Jodel was definitely fitted with carb heat on the O-200, and the issue was unlikely to be a restriction or blockage as it flew a lot and this was rarely seen. In fact, I was unusual amongst the many regular pilots in experiencing it twice.

Difficult to say definitively, though, given both occasions were >> 30 years ago!
By irishc180
I've been operating a C90-8F for 16 years or so. I got carb ice once only, and that was my own fault. I've gotten more carb ice in Lycoming engines, than I did with the C90 and I am using it on water in a J3C Cub 100% of the time. The C90 engine is super valuable - as it's a bolt in conversion for many types that turns them from a VW Golf to a Golf GTI. Some of the places I've landed must have looked, from above, like I had just crashed there. Only for the C90 I wouldn't be getting back out.
By Crash one
Rob L wrote:
Crash one wrote:....What am I doing right?

Using carb heat?
I use it all the time on the ground for these small Continentals (and before anyone mentions air filters and dust/dirt/grass/insects, I don't have an air filter at all!

Perhaps that’s it. Carb heat on in the downwind, off in the hanger is my method!
Rob L liked this