Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
skydriller wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:is it pilots ability making it possible or the ever improving technology?

Id say its money...

Yup, the flying is the easy bit. The hard parts are the funding and the organisation. If someone else is doing those for you, then it's not much of a challenge.
Rob L, rf3flyer, skydriller and 3 others liked this
rf3flyer wrote:
Katamarino wrote:...The hard parts are the funding and the organisation. If someone else is doing those for you, then it's not much of a challenge.

Speaks the voice of experience. :thumleft:

It's still an order of magnitude adventure above the vast majority of flights, of course! I applaud her for taking the opportunity.
Last edited by Katamarino on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Katamarino wrote:
skydriller wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:is it pilots ability making it possible or the ever improving technology?

Id say its money...

Yup, the flying is the easy bit. The hard parts are the funding and the organisation. If someone else is doing those for you, then it's not much of a challenge.

Thread drift:
@Katamarino
Where's the trusty 182 now and where have you got to?
: Your thread ran out Nov 2020.

Or have I missed something.
Still waiting for the book! :thumleft:
PeteSpencer wrote:
Katamarino wrote:
skydriller wrote:
Id say its money...

Thread drift:
@Katamarino
Where's the trusty 182 now and where have you got to?
: Your thread ran out Nov 2020.

Or have I missed something.
Still waiting for the book! :thumleft:

Parked up in Australia waiting on the Pacific to open. Working on the record for slowest round the world flight! The website is much more up to date, with lots of flying around NZ and Australia.
PeteSpencer liked this
Brian Milton is not in that listing. So perhaps they are using differing criteria, or he simply did not get credited?

Either way it is a terrific adventure - but very significantly 'easier' than it has ever been. One only has to read the stories of the early pioneers (Francis Chichester and intersecting lines of latitude - from memory, The London Sydney races etc)

No one expects to die doing this these days and yes a lot of that is the world is a much safer place. (Worth remembering that even the early pioneers were very dependent upon the services provided by various empires!).

But lets' not be cynical - it is a terrific adventure and with someone taking care of the flight clearances it is actually possible - and she will not have an ATPL/instructor cowering in the front cockpit!
Cessna571 wrote:https://www.earthrounders.com/solo.php

141 registered around the world.

Oldest appears to be 74?

Pilot or aircraft? Maybe we could go for the combination of oldest aircraft and oldest pilot?
I would be up for it in a Tiger Moth in maybe 30 years time.