Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Afternoon All,

Having finally received my license from the CAA, I'm planning a few trips and wondered where should I go :)

was thinking anywhere within 45 - 60 mins each way, hopefully a little interesting but equally nothing too taxing to start with, or needing 101 transit requests ;)

any advice gratefully received

Thanks
davenuk liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There are absolutely loads of places within an hour of Turweston. I suggest all of them!

Goodwood has smooth grass of decent length if you haven't done much on grass. White Waltham is interesting and the food is great. Wellesbourne, Sywell, Gloucester, Shobdon, Tatenhill, Shoreham, Headcorn perhaps.

There's just loads. Fear none of them, but plan, plan, plan.

You'd also gain more by asking questions that are much more specific than "where should I go?". Go wherever you'd like to go!

You've got your licence now, the time for spoon-feeding is gone! :thumright:
johnm liked this
By TopCat
Dominie wrote:Popham (unless they are landing on 26, which you might find daunting).

I love Popham, and I've been there loads of times, but I don't think it's a good choice for an early solo post-PPL land away unless the pilot a) has been there before with an instructor and therefore knows what to expect, especially with the 26 dogleg, and b) has very good speed control on short final.

You really don't want to scream down final and discover that you can't land till halfway down or more, and nor do you want to get caught out too slow for the final turn (not that it's at all steep).

It's not just 26 either. 03 is downhill and the temptation to be too high over the trees means that speed control is at least as important as on 26.

It's a real Goldilocks field - you want to get it 'just right'. I've seen quite a few spectacularly twattish landings there over the years.
By GrahamB
Welshpool.

Pretty location, nice runway and will gently introduce you to flying a circuit with a bit of terrain.

Just don't come on a Monday or Tuesday if you want to eat and drink, as the caff is closed on those days.
Iceman liked this
By johnm
I learned at White Waltham and this prompted me to dig out my log book to see where I went.

Kemble and back
Bembridge as my first trip with my wife
Started my IMC rating
Took my wife to Alderney but had to divert to Guernsey as Alderney closed due to a fuel spill as we arrived!
Rob P liked this
That's interesting. I just checked my first five post-qualification flights

Missing out a couple of conversion to type flights - we trained on PA38 and then downgraded to PA28 Warriors for rental - these were my outings from Wellesbourne

1) Shrewsbury / Halfpenny Green cross-country, no landings, wave at family.
2) Duxford
3) Local flight for friend and son
4) Thruxton to visit Aviation Leathercraft
5) No landing away. 1hr 15m. I was headed into Wales but aborted through weather.

Rob P