Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
If Cessna got it wrong and ditched their last high wing outfit - will Vans do any better ?
Farmers have seen the light - Landrovers are out, Toyotas and Isuzu are in.
I had a Landrover many moons ago, was struggling through a bit of snow one winter and a bliddy Mini (old type) went snoring past me. Prior to that, when in the mob, standing by a new build boat in Barrow, I had an old Mini with most of the floor pan rusted away, went through significant snow going over Long Hill near Buxton.
Not only in London, but up here too I see pickups with snorkels fitted - as if they negotiate 3ft deep fords in rivers. Daft extra expense.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
skydriller wrote:Say "Ive got an RV" to any pilot and they think "efficient sportsplane, allrounder, aerobatics to fast cruising". They dont think "rugged bushplane".

I hope it works for them, but they are completely different design philosophies. But then they have a 4 seater and micro now dont they?

But we live in a world where Aston Martin and Lamborghini now make SUVs … (although in the latter case, this could be regarded as a return to its roots).
Charles Hunt liked this
By MichaelP
Maybe it’s a face thing.
Some of their staff have been naughty. Rather than fire them, put them in another place and make them build a high wing aeroplane.
By TheFarmer
@Bill McCarthy has it spot on.

Farmers don’t really buy Land Rovers for work any more. We often have an example of the original ones though, for warm weekends.

For work, we buy Japanese vehicles that are reliable and have a 5 year warranty, like this.

A back country Vans? Maybe. But it’ll have to be tube and fabric to outperform it’s competitors, and I can’t see Vans doing that somehow.
lobstaboy, foxmoth liked this
Rob P wrote:On the RV15. I see it will be 'back-country capable'

Has anyone noticed we are a little short of back country here in the crowded Great Britain? Scots and Welsh can demur if they wish

I doubt the UK market even factors in their thinking...
personally, I think Vans peaked at the RV-8, the RV-9 is okay, but started to go downhill when they put a nosewheel on them.

The current crop of designs do nothing for me, all a bit samey. Maybe a change of direction/thought is needed, but like others have said, 15 minutes with a pack of crayons would have produced an "artists impression", we can all guess roughly what it will look like.
By Rjk983
skydriller wrote:Hmmm.

Say "Ive got an RV" to any pilot and they think "efficient sportsplane, allrounder, aerobatics to fast cruising". They dont think "rugged bushplane".

I hope it works for them, but they are completely different design philosophies. But then they have a 4 seater and micro now dont they?

Regards, SD..

But imagine if you could think “efficient sports plane, all rounder,aerobatics, fast cruising, 4 seat, rugged bush plane” :thumleft:

I saw this on a Vans forum a while back. It is photoshopped but shows effectively a RV7 with the wing up top and some bigger wheels. It kind of reminds me of the Wittman Tailwind, which has early Vans’ performance, here is an example:

So my money is on something like the above for the RV15. I think I like the idea too…
mick w liked this
It will be interesting to see what the design finally looks like. The Glasair guys had a similar idea - adaptable bushplane, but the end result whilst a nice enough aircraft really did not get anywhere near the 4x4 off-road hero that they talked about.

The Tailwind is probably close to the Vans current offerings in terms of performance - but 4x4 country capable - no. Given the popularity of the oof-road / STOL scene in the US it might be that they can surprise us.

In the UK it might mean no beach is safe!
gaznav liked this