Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ben Twings
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If I was going to hazard a guess of something that fitted the Van's mould, my inclination would be something on the lines of the Dornier Do.27.

Clean strut-less, good visibility. Maybe a 2+2 layout with flexible cargo configuration.
Back-country capable in US terms doesn't really imply off airport bush flying, but more in terms of regularly used dirt/gravel strips where 29" ABWs aren't really necessary.
By kanga
gaznav wrote:Not if you don’t put the fuel tanks in the wings? Or make a provision built in the aircraft to climb up to fill the wing tanks? ...

.. or the brilliant (but as requested by bush pilots at the original design stage) dHC-2 Beaver arrangement: a refillable small tank under the cabin floor, whence a built-in electric pump can pump to larger tank(s) in the wings. Obviously, maximum internal pump flow rate has to exceed hose pump maximum flow rate, or refueller has to stay alert! But the difference was remarkable between being perched on top of a floatplane being rocked by a strong cold wind while trying to hold a nozzle at the end of a heavy hose in the filler and shouting down to a colleague on the dock when to stop pumping, and simply standing on the dock with the filler hole at waist height :)
Rob P, Dave W, gaznav liked this
By Rob P
Ben Twings wrote:... 29" ABWs aren't really necessary.

But you can bet they will be widely fitted regardless.

Rob P
kanga, Ben Twings liked this
DHC2 had three under fuse tanks, with tip tanks as extra, unless in Topdressing form where the outlet for the Eastman hopper replace the centre tank.

Helped assemble the last new one for Fieldair ZK-CRE when I was a hanger brat working during my school holidays.

As a Vans fan I hope it will live up to the reputation of the rest of their stable, and handle like my RV3
kanga liked this
By kanga
an-rv8or wrote:DHC2 had three under fuse tanks, with tip tanks as extra, ..

ah, thanks, I'd misremembered. But I clearly remembered the relative ease of dockside refuelling compared to, say a Cessna or Helio, and gratitude in mid-winter not having to climb a ladder on an exposed airstrip in a stiff wind at -40 :thumright: