Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MattL
Has anyone got any recommendations or links for an electric mover / towbar suitable to helping move a PA28-161 in and out of hangar? Some of our club members struggle a little when solo so something to assist is required. I have seen some based on cordless drills as well? The hangar is fairly tight so nothing too powerful!
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We bought a second hand electric golf cart and had a sprung tow bar made . Works a treat with our Arrow.

In recent years however I’ve seen the occasional disability buggy used . Both need electricity in the hangar.
I’d upload an image only the Flyer system rotates image through 90 degrees :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GrahamB
A fellow Grumman owner (and Forumite) and I have just been fortunate enough to get a second-hand one of these to manhandle our aircraft up the hangar ramp or across the apron when required. The drawbar is fairly universally adjustable so would fit a P28 I’m sure.

It can operate forward and backwards, although we tend not to use it to push the aircraft backwards in a confined space due to Grummans’ castoring nose wheels making it a bit of an acquired art.

Not cheap new, about 1700€ I believe, but split between a large group they may consider it worthwhile.
By PeteSpencer
Do you want to move aeroplane solely on concrete or is grass involved at some point?
When I was researching dedicated movers I spoke to a number of US manufacturers and none would guarantee working on soft wet grass .
That’s where the golf cart wins : low pressure wide tyres shift a tonne of arrer with ease. :wink:

Backing into the hangar with 6 inches to spare at one wingtip. takes a bit of practice .
By NDB_hold
PeteSpencer wrote:Do you want to move aeroplane solely on concrete or is grass involved at some point?
When I was researching dedicated movers I spoke to a number of US manufacturers and none would guarantee working on soft wet grass .
That’s where the golf cart wins : low pressure wide tyres shift a tonne of arrer with ease. :wink:

Backing into the hangar with 6 inches to spare at one wingtip. takes a bit of practice .

That’s why gliding clubs always have a handful of golf buggies.
By Flyingfemme
We have the spendy option - iTowbot. Impressive bit of kit. I can move anything up to a Kingair all by myself! The remote control means that one person can drive and check wingtip clearance all at the same time.
By MattL
@TLRippon have you got a maker name for that? Thanks

Thanks all - when I redid our club risk assessments, solo moving of the aircraft came out as something we needed to have a look at. Especially as a good friend of mine (not at our club) broke his arm moving a PA28 as he slipped and fell!
By PeteSpencer
One factor in getting our electric arrer-mover was the time I slipped on soft wet grass when trying to push our arrow backwards up a slight incline and smashed my face into the (stationary!) prop……
By TLRippon
MattL wrote:@TLRippon have you got a maker name for that? Thanks

Thanks all - when I redid our club risk assessments, solo moving of the aircraft came out as something we needed to have a look at. Especially as a good friend of mine (not at our club) broke his arm moving a PA28 as he slipped and fell!

Redine Sidewinder - I believe mine is the Bladerunner model.

https://redlineaviation.com/