Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
That makes it so much clearer. Thank you [/irony]

Rob P :D
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
CloudHound wrote:The curse of Pedantry is eternal vigilance.

Quite right. So shouldn’t
It met with a round of disinterest

be
It met with a complete lack of interest

then?
:)
Rob P, johnm, kanga liked this
shortwing wrote:So Lee - does this mean we will see a bigger roll out of the ATOM Grid stations so that range becomes less of an issue? What's the future plans for the Grid based on this announcement?

Hi Shortwing
TBH I am not sure what I’m allowed to say right now about the project :?

Regarding the range, external antenna will make 30km easily achievable, in fact, we now have ATOM stations that can see each other!
This required a software update early in the year to ensure we had no pingpong effects, thankfully easily achieved over a network, we can push out fixes across the entire European network in less than an hour :D
kanga liked this
By johnm
CloudHound wrote:As you please, GB :thumright:

Disinterest

the state of not being influenced by personal involvement in something; impartiality

Uninterest, lack of interest

not arousing curiosity or interest

[/pedant] :D
Rob P, Tim Dawson liked this
By shortwing
leemoore1966 wrote:TBH I am not sure what I’m allowed to say right now about the project :?

Understood, There's still too many gaps in the southeast on an average flight sub 2,000ft than I can fly from Kent to Shoreham and not pick up a single ground station.

So I guess my simpler question is will be see a massive expansion of stations? if I could host one I would but sadly I can't
By gaznav
Thanks @Cub for answering. I’ve been busy the past 24 hours.

@Cessna571
Gaznav has to at least admit it works.

Btw, whatever happened to ShoestringFlyer? He was much more anti PAW than Gaznav is.

I do admit it works - in fact some of it works very well indeed. I believe, as a receiver, for carry on kit, then the PAW is a great piece of kit. So, if I had a transponder based ADS-B solution (soon to be seen in the aircraft in my avatar) then PAW would be a good solution. Although, if I just wanted FLARM and ADS-B receive only, I would probably consider the $299 ForeFlight Sentry Mini as it is self powered and smaller. The ground station idea for the other great ‘bells and whistles’ of PAW is great too, but as an amateur provisioned network it does rely on continued goodwill. I don’t think that is the way to provision something that is supposed to assure our collective safety.

However, my biggest criticism of PAW has always been around the use of 869.525MHz for its transmissions - so far only one device that meets all of the stringent testing requirements will ‘handshake’ with it, and that’s another PAW. I’ve since found out that the Euro Stratux and SoftRF is unlawful for use in the UK, which are the only other PAW capable devices I am aware of. There is a reason for that, I suspect, in that other manufacturers don’t believe there is a big enough market share in detecting and transmitting the PAW signal format as PAW have that zipped up. Further, as it is not a globally reserved frequency for aviation use, there is a risk it might not be usable around the world (I don’t know if there is or isn’t an agreement to use that frequency in every country), but also other global users may use it for other things that could cause interference or even deny its use.

If you want to see ADS-B working with 11, 927 different aircraft - all with ADS-B working - then look at the Oshkosh arrivals videos from the last few days: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?lat=43. ... ideButtons

Wouldn’t it be amazing if we had an integrated system like this in the UK? Everyone capable of seeing each other and detecting each other? Surely, this is where any mandate should be heading, rather than the chaotic approach we currently have in the UK? I agree with @Cessna571’s sentiment and I am sorry to hear that they have had a near miss that frightened them. It’s so unnecessary and it revolves around the inaction and leadership of our regulator and ministry. Totally unnecessary and the mid air collision risk is by no way ALARP (as low as reasonably practicable).

That is why I am passionate about this and invite the ‘pile on’ each time - if my social media discomfort helps save a life, then why wouldn’t I want to try and have that discussion on the best way forward for EC on here?
Nick liked this
By Rob P
gaznav wrote: ... if my social media discomfort helps save a life, then why wouldn’t I want to try and have that discussion on the best way forward for EC on here?

Very laudable Gaz, but have you considered that your endless, tiresomely repetitive, banging-on might actually be dissuading people from taking an enlightened interest, and that you may actually be doing more harm than good?

Rob P
seanxair liked this