Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Avi8tor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Before Brexit it was possible to obtain HMRC End Use Authorisation for the import of aircraft parts and kits. Is this still available? Experience from a recent (Post Brexit) kit importer would be handy. Thank you
By G-JWTP
Avi8tor wrote:Before Brexit it was possible to obtain HMRC End Use Authorisation for the import of aircraft parts and kits. Is this still available? Experience from a recent (Post Brexit) kit importer would be handy. Thank you

You have a PM.

If I've done it right.

G-JWTP
By G-JWTP
Sure,

Here's what I wrote.

Hi Avi8tor,

How you go about this depends on how many imports you do a year. If it's greater than 2-3 you will need an end user certificate or number, this you get from HMRC after filling in a form. It takes about 3-4 weeks.

If you are only importing 2-3 shipments per year then I would go for the 'HMRC simplified procedure'.

You need to tell the person sending you the stuff to get the following printed on BOTH the paperwork and the shipping container/box. Plus I always send an email to the shippers also telling them this.

'Parts for the construction of a light civil aircraft'

End User Relief

Tariff Heading: 880330-0010

CPC 40 00 028 10

EU/9999/999/99

Don't ask me what it's all about I'm not clever enough!!

You then have the issue of how to pay the VAT.

You can either
a. Set up you own ' Deferment' account with your bank. ( a buisness manager, if they still exist, will know how to do this)
or
b. Most shippers will allow you to use theirs, normally they charge about 5-7% of the VAT amount.

I've always gone with b. for a couple of reasons.
1. I've only done 2 imports and (your own account is cheaper), but a bit of a faff.
2. Once the shipper knows that the VAT has been paid they can release you goods. ( Shippers love to charge you for stuff sitting around their cargo bond area waiting for clearance). If they are handling this the point is a bit moot.

Well I hope that makes sense, I've done it twice and paid only VAT using the above.

If you get into a bit of a pickle over customs paperwork if you do this loads of times, ie the end user certificate/number route I would suggest a customs agent

https://www.customsclearance.uk.com/contact

Eddie comes very recomended and very reasonable cost wise, although I've never used him.

Well good luck with all of that.

So the most important thing is what are you bringing in?

Best regards,

John.
Last edited by G-JWTP on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
shortwing, Dave W liked this
By Avi8tor
John, appreciated.
Sorry for the delay in thanking you but been rather busy and no time to read message.
How do you go about getting a shipping agent or delivery agent. I assume VANS dispatch using their agent but what happens once it’s handed over to the shipper.
Simon
By G-JWTP
Avi8tor wrote:John, appreciated.
Sorry for the delay in thanking you but been rather busy and no time to read message.
How do you go about getting a shipping agent or delivery agent. I assume VANS dispatch using their agent but what happens once it’s handed over to the shipper.
Simon

Ask your supplier for 2 prices , door to door. One air freight the other sea. Chose which one you want depending on depth of wallet and patience ability.

The kit supplier boxes the stuff up the shipper collects it and delivers it to your door.

You pay the shipping and the VAT. The only small issue is that generally the delivery to you is kerbside only. You will then have to move it to where you are going to build it. Some boxes are quite big and heavy.

I'm assuming its a kit and not a completed aircraft.

What are you going for.

G-JWTP

Just read your post again. When thinking shipper a better choice of words would be UPS parcel service/ Royal Mail / FedEx / OIA Global etc, or if you live in Oregon a burley bloke with a truck.

If you are going for a Vans, speak/email Kim, she is very experienced at getting stuff around the globe, well to me anyway.
By Paul_Sengupta
G-JWTP wrote:Some boxes are quite big and heavy.

Yes. please be careful. I volunteered to help a friend move a kit into his garage. As it was, there were only three of us to move a fairly substantial box. My friend said, "Oh, it only equates to 33kg each". Right. I lifted my corner of the box to get it off the van. As I was carrying it, something tore in my left arm. I managed to drop the box gently but it hurt. A lot. It's now over a year and a half later and I'd say my arm is now 95% healed but still not 100%.

If in doubt, get more people or some sort of lift!
By Flying_john
Buying an engine from Lycoming and having it shipped into Heathrow was only a problem if you didn't have the end use certificate to present to the agent at Heathrow on collection.

It never has been anything to do with being in or out of the EU and nothing to do with Brexit.

VAT still applies.
The references to duty are correct. Provided they quote those codes on the paperwork and outside of the package, you will not pay duty - just VAT.

VAT is usually paid directly to HMRC at Threadneedle Street by BACS.

I have a container forming for later in the year but it keeps slipping. Once Oshkosh is done, I will have an update for the chaps.

I have done 5 containers now, it is the cheapest way of getting Vans kits into the country.
G-JWTP, Flying_john, Avi8tor liked this