Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The issue, post-internet-for-all, has become absurd. Data should be made available only as for road vehicles (see Dave W's post above). Much as I would like to identify the boy racer who causes mayhem I can't; our situation is no different, except that we do not have the technology to show vehicle registrations on a radar plotting app. When that's avilable to all, free, without even a registration required, I'll reconsider my view.

G-INFO can be very useful in benign ways too but given the choice now, I'd lose that facillity happily.
Last edited by ChampChump on Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob P, TopCat, Cessna571 liked this
Sooty25 wrote:IF, you could coordinate each and every light aircraft owner to just send a single page letter of complaint, all on the same day, to one of the senior board members home address, they might just get the message!

It’s a shame Mr Shapps flies an N reg.

Are there any other notable people that fly?

I presume not, as they’d do something about their addresses being on the public register.

but are there?
A le Ron liked this
Cessna571 wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:IF, you could coordinate each and every light aircraft owner to just send a single page letter of complaint, all on the same day, to one of the senior board members home address, they might just get the message!

It’s a shame Mr Shapps flies an N reg.

Are there any other notable people that fly?

I presume not, as they’d do something about their addresses being on the public register.

but are there?

Could send the letters to his constituency office or the House of Commons in a coordinated way…

Isn’t there a large minimum number of signatures required before it is worthwhile tying them together and hanging them in the toilet?
Lefty wrote:
Human Factor wrote:What about an organised campaign run by a popular aviation magazine? I wonder if I can think of one….

Not forgetting our Alphabet organisations : AOPA, LAA, BMAA, PPL/IR ?

Well the LAA and BMAA already provide a service to register your address at theirs and forward any mail so probably feel a campaign is unnecessary...
Crash one wrote:

Isn’t there a large minimum number of signatures required before it is worthwhile tying them together and hanging them in the toilet?

I thought we'd already established it is the CAA's interpretation of the existing law that was the problem, not the law itself. If that is the case, you don't need Shapps or Lord Rotherwick, we need to hassle the board itself. Having Royal Mail deliver 5000 envelopes to your doorstep one morning, in which your actual post might be hiding , might make that board member think. Then repeat a month later with the next one.
russp wrote:
Lefty wrote:
Human Factor wrote:What about an organised campaign run by a popular aviation magazine? I wonder if I can think of one….

Not forgetting our Alphabet organisations : AOPA, LAA, BMAA, PPL/IR ?

Well the LAA and BMAA already provide a service to register your address at theirs and forward any mail so probably feel a campaign is unnecessary...

Well the bad news is (in aircraft terms at least), I can’t be a member of either.
it would be much better for the CAA to keep GINFO details securely and provide them to people who have 'reasonable cause' a la DVLA.

That sounds like the better solution, and would probably eliminate having to use PO Boxes as well.

So who would like to write to their MP or to the DfT to make some new laws on this?