Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Some of us (CAA Permit ex-mil) can’t go N reg. Ours was formerly N-reg experimental category and we’d certainly go back to being N91555 if we could. That said, we don’t have the reg on it either.

Is there any reason why we cannot have “Ownership details held by CAA” displayed instead? I believe I have seen it on a couple of aircraft on G-INFO.
This may have been answered in previous threads on the topic, but what do other countries do with their registers?

(A quick search and resorting to Google Translate suggests that in Germany, for example, a private individual has to pay to look at the register: https://www.lba.de/DE/TechnikUmweltschutz/Verkehrszulassung/Hinweise/Auskuenfte.html. Given the UK government's propensity to monetise every state function, I'm surprised it hasn't thought of this…)

Edited to add that it seems that in Italy you have to pay too. (My Italian is not great but I think you have to fill out a form, and send this along with a copy of your identity document and proof that you have paid the fee.)
My interpretation of the ICAO rules is that
Yes - the CAA are require to maintain a register of the owners of all aircraft on the UK register?

Yes they are required to make that information to anyone having a lawful need to identify / communicate with the owner of any registered aircraft.

No - they are not required to make that information freely available to any mischievous/ vexatious member of the public that chooses to have a pop at an aircraft owner.

I think I would like to know the home address of the owner of the noisy car that screams through my village at twice the speed limit - but the law says that I don’t have a reasonable justification to access that data.

I would argue that same principle should apply to owners of private aircraft.

I think we should find a way to give the CAA Avery clear message that we don’t want mischievous or villainous people having free access to our personal detail.

How about we all write to the CAA and formally request:
a) that they remove details of our private addresses from the publicly viewable data.
b) that the provide (me) with the private address of everyone that has accessed my personal details and address within the last five years.

We should all, en masse write to the information commissioner to demand an an investigation into this.
Why not trying a quick telephone call to the registration department to explain why you would prefer not to have your full details on Ginfo? As long as you don’t “demand” and put forward a reasonable case they seem very reasonable to accommodate your needs with a number of options. At least they used to. I know that things change over the years but there are various sections in the CAA who don’t always communicate before putting their foot in it!
Red wrote:We should all, en masse write to the information commissioner to demand an an investigation into this.

I did recently, and got a predictably weak reply from some civil servant (maybe he WAS the Information Commissioner!).. Waste of a stamp.

Lets face it chaps, despite our grizzling, the establishment's system isn't going to change for a bunch of us rich playboy pilot types when the great unwashed want access to our details in order to complain.
But, @Joff, why should the owners be put in the position where they have to go the the complications and expense to potentially protect themselves against the implications of an arbitrary and apprently unnecessary decision by a bureaucrat?

Additionally noting that in many cases it puts a greater spotlight on a volunteer group trustee than should ever be asked of them.
leiafee liked this
PO Box Deliver
Choose to have mail delivered from your PO Box to the address on your application.

Duration Price
Monthly* (Direct Debit only) £36.60
6 months £198.00
12 months £360.00
*Minimum 3 months

PO Box Collect
Collect your mail from your PO Box at your local Delivery Office.

Duration Price
Monthly* (Direct Debit only) £35.10
6 months £168.00
12 months £283.50
*Minimum 3 months
Calm down dears!

Ok, I agree that it is not a perfect situation, but I would rather deal with a ‘Daily Mail reading’ plumped up noise complainer on my doorstep than some of the Eastern European travelling types I had to deal with when running an airfield.

The reality is that curtain twitchers, whilst mildly unpleasant, are unlikely to be dangerous, most can’t be bothered to confront others and it’s worth noting that trespass with threatening intent is likely to attract law enforcement action.

Google ‘anonymous letters, communications and the law’ to understand that unless someone is prepared to put their name and address to a complaint it carries little weight. Once they identify themselves the playing field is more even.

GA has bigger problems to worry about.....

Pipster
Cub, matspart3 liked this
I had an interesting one a few weeks ago. It was in a company aircraft so the boss received the call from Mr Angry of Somewhere Near Newbury who was insistent that I had been repeatedly dive bombing his house at 100ft.

Now don’t get me wrong, chance would be a fine thing but it wasn’t me guvnor. Well actually it was me guvnor, but SkyDemon seemed to think I never went below 2500ft. This was broadly my recollection as well. Either that or I’ve been significantly underestimating the wingspan of the Firefly over the years.

Am I allowed to call someone a complete Muppet and not get moderated? I guess I’ll find out shortly…. :twisted:

Probably the same bloke who called my cabin crew a few years ago and insisted we had missed another aircraft by less than 100ft. I took some pleasure in paying him a visit and asking him how far away he thought the wingtip was (747-400). He went a bit quiet after that.
patowalker wrote:
riverrock wrote:As has been discussed many times, ICAO requirement is for a public register.

Not quite.

Article 21 Report of registrations
Each contracting State undertakes to supply to any other contracting State or to the International Civil Aviation Organization, on demand, information concerning the registration and ownership of any particular aircraft registered in that State. In addition, each contracting State shall furnish reports to the International Civil Aviation Organization, under such regulations as the latter may prescribe, giving such pertinent data as can be made available concerning the ownership and control of aircraft registered in that State and habitually engaged in international air navigation. The data thus obtained by the International Civil Aviation Organization shall be made available by it on request to the other contracting States.

Thanks for the Article 21 quote.
What is the definition of "contracting State" when it comes to requesting access to the information from another country?

It would seem reasonable to expect the information to be made available on request to that country's equivalent of the CAA, government, border force/customs, police, ..... (nobody is objecting to that ),...
but surely not to millions of people that are the general public all over the planet.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:What is the definition of "contracting State" when it comes to requesting access to the information from another country?

List of ICAO 'Contracting States'.