Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
In a recent blog discussing aircraft noise, the CAA encouraged complainers to get in touch with owners directly, by tracking them down through G-INFO

In general, if you have a complaint about aircraft noise, you should direct it to the airport where you think the aircraft was operating to or from. They have a duty to investigate your complaint and respond to you. Alternatively, if it is a general aviation aircraft and you know the registration, you can contact the owner directly. You'll be able to find the owner's name and address on our aircraft database. (UK registrations begin with a G- followed by four more letters).

I do not see this as a positive development.

Ian
PS Thanks to Capt Al on twitter for pointing this out.
mick w, Ian Melville liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
G-BLEW wrote:In a recent blog discussing aircraft noise, the CAA encouraged complainers to get in touch with owners directly, by tracking them down through G-INFO

In general, if you have a complaint about aircraft noise, you should direct it to the airport where you think the aircraft was operating to or from. They have a duty to investigate your complaint and respond to you. Alternatively, if it is a general aviation aircraft and you know the registration, you can contact the owner directly. You'll be able to find the owner's name and address on our aircraft database. (UK registrations begin with a G- followed by four more letters).

I do not see this as a positive development.

Ian
PS Thanks to Capt Al on twitter for pointing this out.

Always a good idea to suggest that citizen's take justice in their own hands.

What could go wrong.

Has anyone ever complained to the ICO about the way that the CAA handles G-INFO?
Shoestring Flyer, TopCat, Dusty_B and 2 others liked this
skydriller wrote:Why do I get the feeling this is another one of these "initiatives" that hasn't been thought through?

At a nameless airfield, the seventeen screen form to apply for permission to fly a one hour engine health flight near the start of a lockdown included granting permission for the management to refer any and all complainants to the pilot.

I worked on several variations of the script I had ready.

"Well, the people at the airfield said it was totally the thing to do, and anyway, they don't give a toss for you locals; they say 'after all airfield was here first, wasn't it?' How long did you say you'd lived here? And what's your address so Big Maurice can drop round and have a friendly chat with you?"

Rob P
Trent772 liked this
By James Chan
This opens owners to harassment based on someone’s subjective assessment of noise. :shock:
Flyin'Dutch', lutonwho liked this
ISTR decades ago a paper submitted to UK government about this and spookily there was some discussion on another forum about CAA being the main barrier to quieter aircraft by making the addition of silencers and shorter three bladed props, which invalidate the airworthiness, so difficult and costly to approve.

Yes, here it is, and by said Timothy Nathan in his submission to the government Select Committee on Transport, Local Government and the Regions. Right at the very bottom, para 3
johnm, Flyingfemme, rf3flyer liked this
By nallen
WT actual F!

(The LAA is now offering a PO box registration facility, btw, though only for LAA aircraft.)
Under the LAA and BMA system you still get the letter or complaint, but you won't get them knocking on your door or contacting you by means other than letter.

I've been less than happy that it so easy to see my personal detail, now I think the CAA have overstepped the mark. Time for them to be taken down a peg?
T67M liked this
By Dave W
For reference, DVLA handle the same situation like this::

DVLA wrote:You can ask for details of another vehicle’s registered keeper. You’ll need a ‘reasonable cause’, for example:

• finding out who was responsible for an accident
  • tracing the registered keeper of an abandoned vehicle
  • tracing the registered keeper of a vehicle parked on private land
  • giving out parking tickets
  • giving out trespass charge notices
  • tracing people responsible for driving off without paying for goods and services
  • tracing people suspected of insurance fraud

The need to have a "Reasonable cause" comes from Regulation 27 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulation 2002:

UK Statutory Instruments wrote:27.—(1) The Secretary of State may make any particulars contained in the register available for use—
(e)by any person who can show to the satisfaction of the Secretary of State that he has reasonable cause for wanting the particulars to be made available to him.
(2) Particulars may be provided to such a person as is mentioned in paragraph (1)(e) on payment of such fee, if any, of such amount as appears to the Secretary of State reasonable in the circumstances of the case.

As keeps being said, it's not obvious why aircraft should be treated any differently.
Charles Hunt liked this