Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By David Wood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bit of an idiot question. How do I enable verbal warnings in SkyDemon?

I'm running SD on an iPhone. In SD Setup I've turned On airspace and traffic warning and I've turned on Produce Sounds for Warning and Produce Speech for Warnings. But there is only silence. I've checked it also running Simulator but there still only silence.

What am I doing wrong?
By stevelup
iPhones have two separate volume controls. One for 'media' and one for 'alerts'.

You may be turning up one or the other with your volume control depending how you have it configured. It's possible the other is all the way down.

Try the buttons on the side and see what pops up on the screen - it may be 'ringer'. If it is, swipe down from the top of the screen instead and turn up the volume slider that you see there.
By David Wood
I think I've done all that. I've enabled airspace warnings, enabled warning sounds, picked a voice, set the volume, checked the volume by playing another bit of media on the same device. But I get only visual alerts from SD, no sound.

Baffling..
By stevelup
The slide switch on the side? You've not got your 'ringer' muted have you?

Try going to Settings > Sounds & Haptics and in the Ringer and Alerts section, make sure 'Change with Buttons' is off and try turning the volume up full there.
By RobertPBham
I've had a similar thing with my new iPad mini but I could get the voice alerts in simulator mode.

The iPad is connected to my headset via Bluetooth and when flying I haven't received any airspace warnings or traffic warnings. However, in simulator mode, they do work.

On my old iPad mini, everything worked flawlessly but that was running iOS 12.

I did try and narrow the issue down and it appeared to be that if I had launched SkyDemon before my headset was connected via Bluetooth, the audio alerts didn't work - this isn't gospel as I can only test when flying.

It may be a completely different issue to yours - especially if not working in simulator mode!
By David Wood
The slider in Ringer and Alerts seems to be tied to Ringer. There is no option there to change the volume of the media.

However if I swipe up on the homepage I can change the media volume there and it's currently at full. I can play other media (like BBC sounds) and hear the sound. So it seems to be switched off in SD somehow.