Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulSS
Are you talking about audio straight from your phone or through your headset? If through your headset, is it actually connected via Bluetooth? Yes, I know it's a stupid question but stranger things etc..... If you're running the audio straight from your phone, can you confirm it's not connected to a different Bluetooth device somewhere. For instance, if it were connected via Bluetooth to a speaker but the speaker's volume was turned down then, clearly, you're not going to hear anything (probably easiest just to turn the phone's Bluetooth off to check if that makes any difference).
By Aerials
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
David Wood wrote:I think I've done all that. I've enabled airspace warnings, enabled warning sounds, picked a voice, set the volume, checked the volume by playing another bit of media on the same device. But I get only visual alerts from SD, no sound. Baffling..

I have a different device, an old Nexus 7 and was content with visual warnings from EasyVFR Basic until I got SD. Just like you, I had no audio from SD with the Nexus on the table running on it's charger so there was no point in taking it to the aircraft to try it there. Eventually, I found somewhere a message to say that SD couldn't find a voice on my device (or a close phrase using voice and device).
Now, SD runs on a more modern, with a larger screen tablet and I can hear the warnings. I didn't have to go and find them anywhere, it all just worked.
By Dave W
What do Apple do on their devices for enabling Text-to-Speech?

Might be worth looking at how that is set up on your device, since this might not ultimately be a SkyDemon or audio interfacing issue at all.
I've just had a play on my iPhone and had to do nothing to get the voice to work. I even tried it with the 'Produce Sounds/Speech....' options turned off and it still worked.

SkyDemon......press cog button.....Navigation Options......Voice......Change it to a different voice and behold Rishi or Aaron in all their glory.

The most obvious snag could be the little mute switch on the side of the phone. Initially I wondered why I couldn't get a voice until...... :D

I tried on an iPhone 8 and an X something or other and they both worked in the same manner. No iPhone configuration needed or ever carried out, apart from turning the little switch from red.

I have, in the past, had occasions when the iPhone (various models) has not pinged or made a noise when I expected it to. In all cases I powered the phone down completely and after re-start it worked as expected.
By stevelup
Dave W wrote:What do Apple do on their devices for enabling Text-to-Speech?

Nothing - it just works.

I don't believe this is any thing to do with TTS anyway as David isn't getting the warning sounds that we all know and love* either.

* I might not be being 100% honest there
Dave W, Rob P liked this
By Rob P
stevelup wrote:Nothing - it just works

stevelup wrote:I might not be being 100% honest there

:lol:

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Voice 'just works' from my elderly iPhone 7 and my iPad mini, using the 'Crazy Pilot' gizmo detailed elsewhere to bluetoothSD in to my non bluetooth DCs.

In fact first time I used it I got the shock of my life when a fruity male voice suddenly announced 'You have entered runway 08':

It's only a bleedin' airstrip..... :wink:
By kanga
PeteSpencer wrote:.. I got the shock of my life when a fruity male voice suddenly announced 'You have entered runway 08':..

<drift :oops: >

ISTR reading that during the debrief by USAF of the MiG-25 pilot who defected to Japan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defection ... or_Belenko

.. he said that one of the scariest moments was when a woman's voice told him he was dangerously short of fuel (which he already knew, and also knew that he was in a single-seat aircraft). Apparently, there was a Voice Warning System installed, but no one had told the pilots :?

</>
By skydriller
PaulSS wrote:The most obvious snag could be the little mute switch on the side of the phone. Initially I wondered why I couldn't get a voice until...... :D

Ohhh yes.... THAT switch cleverly hidden away next to the volume buttons - the one that somehow moved so that for 3-4 days I couldnt understand why I kept getting "missed call" messages on my screen for calls the phone didnt ring for... :oops:

@Fruit Company - you gave me volume buttons - If I want to mute the bloody phone I change the volume to zero!!!7 :guns: :guns: :guns:
By David Wood
stevelup wrote:
stevelup wrote:The slide switch on the side? You've not got your 'ringer' muted have you?

Ahem....

You did. And I misunderstood that to be the mic mute. Silly me.

Thanks anyway Steve,